18 | before departure

Regulus and Angela continued their private lessons every day for the weeks leading up to the winter holidays. Angela had been acting differently and somewhat distant since their first meeting - or second - and of course, Regulus had noticed. But he didn't bring it up.

It was for the best if they kept their relationship as transactional as possible. It made it easier for him.

Regulus entered the Room of Requirement for their last meeting before they left the following morning for their homes. He grew confused to find that Angela was nowhere to be seen.

He was about to turn and leave when he heard a faint snore coming from the couch in the middle of the room. He walked toward her and looked down to find her asleep.

"Don't even think about it," she warned and he raised an eyebrow as she opened her eyes. "Peeking in on the enemy's dreams is just cruel and unnecessary."

"Since when were we enemies?" he asked.

"That's sort of where it's heading, isn't it?" she inquired, sitting up on the couch.

He said nothing in response as she hopped off the couch, "I can't stay today. I promised my brother we could practice before we left."

Regulus pursed his lips but nodded in understanding. "I think we shouldn't resume lessons after we return from break."

She stopped walking toward the door and turned to face him. Instead of arguing with him as he had expected her to, she merely asked, "Why?"

"You've got it down," he shrugged, "There's no point."

"I've got Occlumency and Legilimency down," she countered, "That's not what you promised."

"It's enough," he pointed out, "Besides, I never promised you anything."

She rolled her eyes, "Why the sudden urge to quit?"

"It's not sudden and I'm not quitting."

"That's exactly what you're doing," she countered. "All I want to know is why."

"I already told you."

"That's not it."

"Yes, it is."

"You're a horrible liar."

He rolled his eyes, "I'm not lying."

She shook her head, "Like I said, I can't stay today. I guess I'll see you in class or something." He said nothing in response as she walked out of the room.

Angela made her way to the Quidditch field but was stopped when someone grabbed a hold of her and pulled her into an empty classroom.

"Let go of me!" she exclaimed as they held her up against the wall. Regulus looked down at her and she scanned his face for a moment, "What the hell are you doing?"

Regulus watched her for only a moment before he leaned down, pressing his lips against hers. She reacted quickly, pressing her body against his as she moved her hands to the sides of his face.

He pulled away from her quickly, "That...that's why we have to stop."

She shook her head, "What?"

"Like you said, we're enemies," he reminded her and she opened her mouth to argue but he was quick to continue, "You were right. We're on opposite sides of this war. It's too dangerous for us to continue seeing each other for any reason outside of class."

"Reggie, wait-" she tried but now it was his turn to leave before she could finish.