16 | birthday surprise

"You were supposed to get him here sober," James reminded the girl.

"Oh, shut it, James," Angela suggested. "You're the one who forgot to assign someone as babysitter. I got him here, that's what matters."

"You got him here drunk."

"I didn't supply him with the Firewhiskey."

"Still-" he began as the portrait door opened. The siblings turned to look to find Regulus standing there. James stared at the portrait with wide eyes, "What is he doing here?"

"I invited him," Angela shrugged and James's head shot in her direction. "Would you relax?" she requested, "He has a present for his brother."

"What makes you so sure it's actually a present and not some assasination attempt?"

Angela stared at her brother incredulously, "Are you serious?"

"No, he's Sirius," James countered, gesturing to his friend. "And you're naive."

"I swear to Merlin, the next person to call me naive is going to get hexed," Angela scowled, whacking her brother on the arm. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a guest to greet like the great host that I am."

"Whatever happens is on you!" he called after her and she ignored him as she made her way to the clearly out of place Slytherin.

"Reggie," she greeted and his head snapped in her direction. He looked around again, seemingly more nervous then he usually was. "He's right over there."

"I came, alright?" he informed her quickly, "Can you just give it to him?"

"You can give it to him yourself," she reminded him.

He shook his head, finally meeting her eye, "No, I can't."

"Oh, Merlin, don't tell me you're actually trying to kill him," she huffed, the comment confusing him greatly. "I swear, if James was right-"

He waved his hand, "What are you talking about?"

"What did you get him?"

"I don't know if I got him anything."

She raised an eyebrow, "What's in the box?"

"A pocket watch."

"You got him a pocket watch?"

"I stole him a pocket watch."

She gaped, "You stole it?"

"From my parents," he explained. "I remembered that even though Sirius hated everything about our family, he always looked forward to getting this pocket watch when he turned seventeen."

Angela bit back a smile, "Go give it to him."

"I don't think-"

"Regulus?" Sirius spoke up and Regulus's eyes widened.

He turned to Angela, desperation clear in his eyes as he tried to push the box toward her, "Please, give it to him."

"Regulus, he's right there, just-"

"What are you doing here?" Sirius demanded.

"I invited him," Angela waved off.

"Why would you-"

"Just give it to him," Regulus said.

"He can hear you," Angela pointed out. She took the present from Regulus, quick to grab onto his wrist before he could bolt and she handed the gift to Sirius.

"What is this?" Sirius asked.

"Open it," she suggested.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion but he opened the box anyway. He stared at whatever was inside and Regulus moved to run again but Angela tightened her grip on his wrist and moved her other hand into his hand, holding him in place.

Sirius looked up at Regulus, his eyes slightly watery as he fought down tears. Sirius started toward the boy and Regulus's eyes widened, clearly expecting to be attacked.

Angela released Regulus's hand as Sirius threw his arms around his brother's neck, pulling him toward himself. Regulus was tense at first but he eventually relaxed, wrapping his arms around Sirus's torso.

James sent his sister a small smile and she returned it as she observed the two estranged brothers.

"I have to go," Regulus said after a moment.

"Don't," Sirius tried.

Regulus shook his head as he glanced from Angela to Sirius, "I've already been here too long."

Sirius frowned but nodded in understanding as his younger brother sent him a tight smile before leaving the common room. Sirius immediately turned to Angela and pulled her into a hug, "You did this, didn't you? You got him to come. You-"

"I just invited him," Angela pointed out

"Keep doing whatever it is that you're doing," he requested. "Please. I mean, don't put yourself in danger but a year ago he wouldn't have even stepped foot near the Gryffindor common room and-"

"Okay," she agreed as he pulled away, "I wasn't really doing anything."

"Be careful, though."

"I'm always careful."

He rolled his eyes, "What happened on the Astronomy Tower says otherwise."

"What happened on the Astronomy Tower was an anomaly."

"Either way," Sirius replied, "Help him if you can but don't let him drag you down."