TRIGINTA

Kleopatra couldn't move.

Hindi niya alam kung gaano katagal lang siyang nakatitig sa katawan ng kanyang tiyahin. She knew that time is essential, but seeing her loved one bleeding and beheaded like a slaughtered animal is just too much for her. The shock paralyzed her muscles and any coherent thought. Noong mga sandaling 'yon, para bang nawalan ng saysay ang panonood niya ng mga horror at gore movies. Nawalan siya ng ganang makakita at makapag-dissect ng bangkay ng tao.

All her life, Kleopatra Claveria molded herself to be someone immune to human sympathy.

But nothing prepared her for the real thing...

"Sadako!"

Hindi na niya alam ang ginagawa niya. Nakatulala lang siya sa mukha ng kanyang Tita Elvie. Sa mukhang hindi na nakakabit sa katawan niya. Naramdaman niya ang mainit nitong dugo sa kanyang mga tuhod. Where did the blood come from? Was it creeping towards her like a snake of sin, waiting for her to crumble with everything else she ever believed in?

"Naku, hija... Hindi ka pwedeng nakakulong na lang lagi sa kwarto mo! Paano ka mabubuhay nang ganyan?"

"Tita, the world outside can burn in flames, and I'll be happily eating homemade vampire cookies and reading my witch magazines in my room."

The disappointment in her aunt's eyes made her want to crawl under the bed and hide. Sometimes Kleo would ignore it, but sometimes she can't. Sa huli, napailing na lang si Tita Elvie, naalalang sanay na nga pala siya sa kawirduhan pamangkin niya.

"You can't turn your back on the people outside forever, Kleo. Balang-araw, kakailangan mo ring isugal ang mga nakasanayan mo."

Kasabay ng pagsasara ni Tita Elvie ng pinto at paglaho ng memorya, namalayan ni Kleo na nakangiti na pala siya

She couldn't think straight with all the energy drained from her earlier.

Around her, she can hear voices, but she couldn't comprehend a word.

'Am I going mad, Roberta?'

Sana pala sinama niya ang kanyang manika. Roberta always knew what to do. Kung nandito lang sana si Roberta, hindi na niya kailangang maging malungkot sa pagkamatay ni Tita Elvie. Yes, if Roberta were here, she wouldn't bleed like Tita Elvie after having her head chopped off... Roberta would even help her bury the body---

"KLEO, TUMIGIL KA NA!"

Someone pulled her away from the bloody head and the sadness and all the words she couldn't comprehend.

Everick's gray eyes held her in place. The strength of his arms held her still.

"Gusto mo na ba talagang magpakamatay?!"

Nagpakurap-kurap siya. 'Magpakamatay?' Hindi na nya ito natanong sa crow-shifter nang bigla na lang nitong kinuha ang ulo at nilapitan ang katawan. On the other hand, Marlone knelt beside the old woman's body and sniffed her blood, his eyes dilating at the smell. "Wala pang isang oras mula noong namatay siya... She was freshly killed around 12:30 to 1:00 am, if I were to guess." The cannibal, formerly known as the "Muffin Man", stepped back to give Everick some room.

"Maganda sanang i-preserve ang katawan niya...she can make a useful puppet."

Everyone shot a look at Nicholas who only shrugged in response. Whether he was aware of his past "hobbies" or not, nobody dared to ask.