QUADRAGINTA TRES

The Limekiln Antigone Turtle looks the same as when I first laid my eyes on it---a tall building made out of red brick walls, shiny steel doors, and bright neon lights that even the blind can see from a mile away. 

Ang hirap isipin na ang taong ilang dekada na naming hinahanap ay parang dagang nagtatago sa mga lansangan ng Eastwood. But I guess he never realized that no amount of dirt and deception can cover up his bloodied hands.

"At kung magtatago lang din naman siya sana ginalingan niya."

Gumuhit ang kidlat sa kalangitan kasabay ng pag-ihip ng malamig na hangin. Lumalalim ang gabi. Dumidilim ang paligid. Patay-sindi ang isang lampara sa 'di kalayuan at matagal nang sumilong ang mga sibilyan. If they decided to retire early because of the approaching storm or because they saw me in the neighborhood, no one can tell.

My gray eyes fell to the invitation they left me. I crumpled the fancy paper and finally crossed the street.

'Tonight, we'll end this.'

Agad kong napansin ang biglaang pagsulpot ng mga lalaking nakamaskara sa magkabilang gilid ko. As cocky as it sounds, I didn't even bother turning my attention to them as I unsheathed twin swords from my back and slit their chests open in one move. Nang sinubukan akong sorpresahin mula sa likod, I twisted out of the way and cleanly chopped both his legs off, leaving them standing on the same spot.

A scream escaped the man's mouth as the rest of his body fell next to his comrades.

"Get out of my way."

More attacked.

Bodies dropped dead.

Nang makarating ako sa bukana ng bar, humarang ang isang bouncer at sinamaan ako ng tingin. His bulky mortal body covered the width of the doorway. It makes me wonder if he has a death wish.

"Ang bilin ng boss mamayang alas-dose ka pa papasukin."

Buti pa sila may pakialam sa oras.

"Pakisabi naman sa boss mo hindi ang kamatayan ang mag-a-adjust para sa kanya."

When he attempted to speak, I stabbed him with a sword through his chest and kicked him aside. I tossed the other one and adjusted the collar of my coat. Hindi na ako nag-abala pang kunin ang mga espada at tuluyan nang naglaho sa isang pasilyo, the layout of this hell imprinted in my memory.

"GAAAAAAAH!"

'And I thought I instructed them to be as silent as possible?'

Hindi ko na lang pinansin ang ingay na nagmumula sa direksyon ng main hall at tuluyan nang naglaho sa hagdang nakatago sa "storage room" ng mga alak. Of course, no one would dare think there's something illegal hidden underneath the foundation of this harmless human wasteland.

And as I descended into the darkness and into the amphitheater, I knew there's someone down there waiting to kill me.

Too bad because...

"Neverwoods never die."

*

"GAAAAAAAH!"

A cry of pain followed by the Joker's cruel laughter.

Isang malakas na pagsabog ang tumapos sa paghihirap ng gwardiyang tumilapon sa kabilang bahagi ng silid. His body crashed into several tables, toppling over with his dead weight. Nang lumipad sa ere ang mga bote ng beer, ngumisi si Joker at walang kahirap-hirap na sinalo ang isa.

"And that's what you call a performance!"

He crossed the room with his beer in hand, the other bottles smashing on the floor behind him.