chapter 15

I woke up this morning feeling much better. I mean I appreciated the day off school, but not I have a ton of work to makeup.

I got dressed and went to the kitchen. Hmm weird. Rina is usually up and about. I looked on the counter and saw a note. It read

"Good morning babes! I got called in for an emergency surgery. If you don't want to walk home, meet me at the hospital after school. I love you and have a wonderful day love. X"

Dang. I wonder what time she had to leave? Hmm anyway I better head to school before I'm late.

I arrived to school and sat in my first hour. My teacher said I hadn't missed anything due to an assembly so I was very thankful.

The day passed on quickly. Thank god today was Friday. That means relaxing all weekend.

As the school bell rang, I quickly head out. The hospital was closer than my house so I decided to go there instead.

I texted my sister that I was on my way. She immediately called me.

"Hi babes, meet me by the entrance."
"Okay."

After 15 minutes, I saw the sign for the hospital. I went through the entrance and saw her.

She immediately hugged me.

"Hi my love! How was your day?"

"Good, and yours?"

"Great as well."

We stayed hugging for a bit. She was only 2 inches taller than me but her hugs made me feel so protected. She was definitely my safe space.

"Let's go to the lounge."

We both walked to the lounge to see a couple interns and Ashton.

He looked at us. "Hello ladies." And he smiled. "How are you guys today?"

We both replied we were good.

"Dr. Irwin, if it's okay, can my sister just sit in here and do homework until I finish my shift?"

Before he responded, one of the interns spoke.

"Dr. Irwin, this is a hospital, not a daycare- there shouldn't be children allowed in a professional place of work."

I looked at him. I didn't want to stay here and be uncomfortable.

I looked at my sister. "It's okay I'll just go home. I'll see you in a couple hours."

Ashton looks at us. "No absolutely not." He looks at the intern and started yelling at him. "Last time I checked, you don't run this hospital. You have no authority to make this decision. She's not a baby, she's not going to make a mess or disrupt you. I suggest you apologize and get the hell out of my face." During Ashton's mid yelling, I didn't notice that Luke & Michael walked in.

I hear Luke's voice and turned around. "What's going on here?"

"Oh hi Dr. Hemmings." He looks down and then back at Luke again. "I was just saying that she (he pointed to me) shouldn't be here because this is a place of work."

Is this guy an idiot?

I turn around and look at Luke. He looks livid. "Get out right now. Go do your rounds and go home."

He looked shocked but leaves.

I turn to my sister. Suddenly tears start appearing in my eyes. I never wanted anyone to get yelled at. I should've just gone home.

She looks at me. "Oh my gosh no babes why are you crying."

Luke and Ashton immediately walk over.

"B-because I didn't want anyone to get maddd."

I pull back and she wipes my tears.

"No, no babes. It's okay. He's just very unkind. Don't pay any attention to him. Plus they already handled it." She whispered.

Suddenly I feel someone wiping my face. It's Luke. "Hey hey, don't worry sweetheart. It's okay. I promise it's okay." He said as he gently wiped my tears. He then pulled me into a gentle hug.

My sister looked at him with adoration. For a while- it's just been the two of us. We are both very gentle people. And to have someone stand up for me like that meant a lot to her.

Luke continued to hug me. "It's okay sweetheart. I promise it's okay."

Rina

It felt so nice to have another person there to protect her. Being the older sister, I'm very protective of her. But having little to no say in the hospital makes me a nobody. Words can be spread easily here.

She's my little tiny bean. And that intern was intimidating as hell. She was probably the size of the guy's bicep. She wouldn't defend herself. I'm thankful Luke and Ashton were there.

"Thank you Dr. Hemmings." I whispered.

"It's Luke." he smiled.

"Thank you Luke."

"Anytime. I'm always be there when you guys need me." He whispered with a smile.

That smile. Enchanting.

Holy hell what is wrong with me?