chapter 28

It was the next morning. I couldn't take any more time off work due to me being an intern. Liam agreed to stay with her and keep and eye out for her. He said he'd take her to his place for a bit to get some change in scenery.

After all, he does have a penthouse and a nice view of NYC. Must be nice to be an attending.

I bid them goodbye and made my way to work. It was super wet and cold outside. I got to work and headed to the lounge for morning rounds.

"Good morning Rina, smiled Luke"

"Morning Dr. Hemmings. Do we have any surgeries today?"

"Yep we do! We have a heart transplant. Let's get scrubbed in. It's a long one and your my first assist.

HELL YEAH!

We went to the or and got scrubbed.

Luke and I both walked in. I was on his left and the or nurse was on his right.

"Dr. Hart please prep the patient."

I did as told. I took the betadine solution and applied it all over his chest.

"Scalpel"

I handed Luke the scalpel and he began cutting open his chest.

After two hours the surgery was going very well. Very tedious, but very well."

All of a sudden the patient started bleeding profusely. Monitors started beating rapidly and it was pure chaos.

"I NEED O NEG STAT!" screamed Luke.

Nurses started running everywhere. People started making calls and it was just crazy.

All of a sudden, a nurse walks in.

"We only have one bag."

Luke and I looked at each other.

"How the hell do we only have one O-Neg bag in this entire hospital?"

"There's been a demand for O-neg at two other hospitals so we haven't gotten ours for two days."

What the fuck are we going to do.

"Shit this patient is bleeding out too fast" he said as he packed the patient's chest.

"I'm going to have to declare a medical emergency. Who in this OR is an organ doner and has O-neg blood?" He screamed.

Me.

I looked to him and raised a hand. He looked at me.

"Are you sure?" He asked worriedly.

"Yeah" he looked hesitant.

"LUKE WE DONT HAVE A CHOICE- GET A LINE IN ME NOW."

"You heard her" he said.

A nurse came over and attached an iv to my arm and one to his. Slowly I watched as my blood trickled into his. She then attached a ton of monitors to me to make sure I was good throughout.

As he was receiving blood, Luke worked on completing the transplant. They made me sit down and take off my bloody gloves.

Every few seconds, Luke kept looking to me.

I kept on dazing out.

"Somebody update me on her vitals please." screamed Luke as he was closing up.

"She's a little bit low right now Dr. Hemmings."

He turned to me with his hands still in the guy's chest. "Rina I need you to look at me and tell me the five signs of a stroke."

What? I couldn't think properly.

"Dr. Hart I'm waiting on you."

He's trying to distract me to keep me conscious.

"Luke I'm really tired."

"Dr. Hart you better answer my question."

"We- weakness or numbness in the face, arm or leg,

Difficulty speaking, decreased or blurred vision in one or both eyes"

I took a slow breath

"Unexplained loss of balance or dizziness and
Severe headache with no known cause."

"Perfect."

After a few minutes he finished closing the patient up.

I barely kept my head up.

He went to the scrub room and scrubbed himself. He then made his way over to me.

He fiddled with the monitors for a sec and then took his stethoscope out from his pocket.

He took it and placed it in my shirt to listen to my heart.

"Dammit"

He took out the IV and picked me up.

I was so tired.

"No don't you close your eyes on me" he said while walking.

"Rina keep your fucking eyes open."

But I felt so sleepy.

Before I knew it I was out.