chapter 30

Luke left to go finish his rounds. Liam and Alayna both woke up. She ran to me and hugged me.

"You scared me omg" she said with her scratchy voice.

"Don't worry I'm going to be okay" I said as I hugged her.

Liam came over. "Gosh you scared the shit out of me" he said as he kissed my forehead. "As a cardiothoraic surgeon, it's not the best thing to hear that your sister gave up 3 pints of blood."

"It was for the greater good."

"Yeah greater good, we'll see whose saying greater good when you're eating iron rich foods for the next month." He laughed.

"She's right"

Luke was leaning against the door with his arms crossed. "Between him and I, you'll be eating tons of greens and meats." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes. I'll be fine.

He came over and checked the monitors. "Welp! I think you're good to go! You've been on fluids for a bit now, so I think you're rehydrated."

"Yes finally!"

He took out the IV and wrapped my arm up.

"Okay Rina, I'll see you at home, this little one is out again" he announced as Alayna fell asleep on him again.

I nodded as I gave her a kiss. He gently picked her up and walked out.

"I'll have a nurse get your discharge papers." I nodded.

"Perfect"

"So out of curiosity, have I earned my place in this hospital yet?" I asked sorta smugly.

"More like a your permanent residence." He scoffed. "Word got back to the board and to the chief on what you did to save that man and they were appalled." he said smiling.

Omg

"Chief thinks you can be a vital part of this hospital. We need more doctors like you who are willing to do whatever is necessary for the patient, and not just for a paycheck."

"He's willing to offer you a fellowship after you finish your residency"

Holy fucking shit

"Luke are you serious?"

He grinned and nodded.

"As serious as a heart attack"

"OMGGGG!!!!"

He laughed.

I started jumping around like a kid who had a ton of candy. I was thrilled.

"Omg omg I'm going to be a fellow here!"

I turned to Luke as he was cracking up at my mini party.

I ran to him and hugged him.

Tears started coming to my eyes as I realized what this meant for me. It meant that I'd get to pursue my dream. That id no longer be a nobody in this hospital. That id be able to provide better for Alayna.

And most of all- my that my parents would be proud of me.

I started to cry. He held me and gently rubbed my back.

"I'm so proud of you" he whispered in my ear.

"It's all thanks to you Luke"

He held me for a bit. As I pulled back we both looked at each other's eyes.

Before we knew it I was on my tippy toes and our lips were touching.