Chapter 30

Sooo guess what? If you guessed that this story was ending soon, then you would be right. I think it only has about two chapters to go. At the most three, but I doubt it. So yeah! I'm really excited! A little sad maybe, but definitely excited! This will be the first book I have ever completed...As soon as it's done, I'm going to be going over it for any mistakes and things and editting some (most) of it before sending it off to the editor I have in line. Hopefully I'll get it published soon!

(In the meantime, Watpad really needs to get onto these glitches. It's really annoying.)

~~*~~

*Taryn POV*

I had killed him. I had really killed him. He wouldn’t ever bother us again. 

But I had taken the life of someone. Not just someone, my boyfriend’s father. He had a family, a life. I had taken that away from him. The pack lost their Alpha. A woman lost her mate. As horrible as he was, a son lost his father. Did I really have the right to decide that?

It was too late though. His life was gone and lying motionless on the wooden porch. If I looked down, I would see my hand, stained in red that wasn’t my own. Was that really someone’s blood? Was it really someone’s life force that dyed my hand in a color that had once been my own those too-few months ago? The same color that dyed my feet and made small blades of grass stick to the bottoms from when they had blown onto the patio. 

But I had ensured that Sebastian and I and the rest of Alpha Jay’s pack would live in safety. Surely that was enough to take a life? Wasn’t it? 

Multiple growls distracted me, pulling me from my trance-like state and made me look up, seeing three wolves: one yellow with dark stains, the other deep brown like the earth, and the final deep red as though dipped in blood, always more blood. 

I only knew two of them.

Alpha Jay and Joey.

The familiar black haired boy stood with his back to me, but I could imagine the steely calmness that he held in his gaze from the chill in his voice. With his back to me, he looked like a angel, sent to wreak havoc on the world around him. All that was missing were the wings. 

He was going to choose the next Alpha for the pack? The pack that I had just killed the leader of? My eyes widened when I realised why Joey and the brown wolf looked like they were getting ready to fight and Alpha Jay was in the centre of them. 

Joey wanted to become the Alpha. He wanted to take Sebastian’s father’s place. I would lose him again if that happened. It was like a nightmare come to life. 

“N-no…Joey…” My voice came out barely above a whisper. “Please…no…Sebastian…”

Don’t pick him. 

No one heard me. 

I rolled to my knees, forgetting about my injured arm for a second as I leaned to put my weight on my hands and sprawled out on the grass. Immediately, I picked myself back up again, this time conscious of the arm and focusing the weight all on my good hand. 

The bloodied hand. 

The hand I didn’t want to rely on anything for anymore was now the only thing that could help me stop Joey from becoming the Alpha. He didn’t deserve it. He didn’t have to become Alpha, he was only a boy.

Sebastian was speaking. He was going to announce the next Alpha. I had to do something. 

“Please no.”