Chapter 48

Antonio

Am I capable of love?

What I feel for Ary, I think is the closest I will ever come to loving someone—not even Sera. The tear that fell from her eye after I said I didn’t know caused a slight pain in my heart and suddenly I feel as though I’m the world's worst dead man.

We are heading back to the beach house. The dinner I expected turned out to stay deep conversation between me and my wife.

“I love you,” she breathes out unsteadily and my own heart pounds hard in my chest. “I love you and I hate that I love you because you will never feel the same way I do.”

I grab her wrists when she turns away from me and pull her into a gentle kiss. I pull back to see a twinkle in her eyes under the dim light as though I’ve just given her hope. “They like to exploit weaknesses, they would do anything to get their hands on you if you they knew—“

“If they knew you loved me?” Lines form in her forehead. “God, Antonio! I mean, I’m not asking you to profess your love for me on the news! I’m asking you to profess it here to me alone. I’m asking you to love me,” she hides her face with her hands.

“It’s not so much about them knowing than it is allowing myself to actually love you and then having you ripped away from me. It would destroy me!”

“And what about our baby!” She shouts.

I jerk my head back and blink a few times. I’m speechless. “What?”

Did she just say what I think she said?

“I mean...what about if we have children one day?” She bites her bottom lip and looks down at her lap.

The nausea, the emotional outburst... “You’re pregnant?” I grab her chin and make her look me in the eyes.

Her eyes well with tears and she nods her head quickly.

“How long have you known?”

“I just found out today,” her voice waivers.

The only emotion I feel is pissed. I slick back my hair with my hands. I rub harshly at my face and try to think of how this is even possible. “You were on the pill, what the fuck happened?” I shout.

Hurt flashes across Ary at my swearing at her. "Yeah. When I went to the doctor's place, she said someone changed my pills with painkillers."

“That bastard!” I rack my hand over my hair.

“You’re scaring me,” she takes some steps backward, her eyes is glimmering with tears.

"Someone's trying to trap us—me." I mutter under my breath.

We are standing on the sand with breezy air embracing us under the moonlight. I stand there in rage and wary. Pregnant. Ary is fucking pregnant with my child at the worst possible time. The Bratva is getting stronger, I’m losing men, and Marco Fucking—Ricci ia trying to start a war with the Outfit. Sabotaging me—exploiting weakness.

"Riccardo, alert me not to tell anyone. So, except for Ric, none else know. I haven't told Angelo." She says.

"Ric knew?" My brows knit together in rage.

"Yes. He was about to tell you but I insisted not to. I wanted to tell you personally."

"Fuck. Who wants to destroy us?" I gaze at Ary who looks puzzling.

"Marco Ricci or maybe Luca."

Pinching the bridge of my nose I nod, "can be possible, they are the only one close to the family." I look her in suspicion. "Arielle. Who used to brought you the pills?" As I remember she did not bought any pills since we got married.

"Oh, my half sister bought a lot of them. I took the entire tablet to Chicago." She sighs.

"Sister? Half sister?" She has a sister. "Who is your sister?"

"Damn. She is the daughter of Marco Ricci with one of his mistresses. We don't get along too much."

I glances her with furrowed brows, "I didn't have any glimpse of idea about her."

"Marco Ricci hide her." She mumbles.

"And what is her name?" I ask.

"Seraphia Ruselle."

My hear pounds hard. A kind of rage runs trough my body. "What?" I whisper. This can't happen. "Sera? She's dead." She was the daughter of Marco Ricci? How I never found out. Those piece of shit were arduously after me.

"Antonio..." her voice cracks as she approaches me. "Seraphia was your girlfriend?" Tears leaks from her eyes. I nod. "She's dead?" Her gazes puzzles flickering around my face. I watch the lines forming in her forehead.

"You don't know?"

She chuckles nervously, "no." She shakes her head.

"She died the night prior before my father's death." I say in a soft tone. It breaks me from inside but I think Sera was up for something against me, she hide such a huge thing from me.

Her face goes pale as she shakes her head in dread. "She died in New York?" She searches for an answer in my eyes.

I nod, "yeah."

"Damn." She grabs her head with both hands, her purse fells on the sand.

I pick it instantly. "Don't cry." She whimpers holding her head. "You are not supposed to stress. You are pregnant. We should look after the baby." A smile appears on my lips and her face lit up.

"We should look after the baby..." she repeats with a half smile.

I pull her into a tight hug and bury my face in her neck. "We'll get through this together. I won't let anything happen to you both. You'll be safe under my control." I whisper near her ear and she nods against the hug. I hear her giggling while sobbing.

"Your presence makes me feel safe Antonio. It's okay if you don't love me just don't leave me. Your departure might break me."

I tighten my grip around her assuring her I'm not leaving her alone. I never intend to leave her, she is the reason for me to fall weak once more. Now that I know she's pregnant, I will never walk away.