Chapter 11

Arielle

I grunt in affliction with the arduous ache in my scalp. I manage to stand up then falls back on the bed. I try to recollect what happened yesterday.

I was talking with Angelo in the garden when bullet began to bolt aloft the garden and the ground of Leon Mansion. I remembered my ears was ringing with gunshots. Angelo was there shielding me with his body then Antonio and Rocco came in with weapons in their hands. Angelo left me as the bullets alteration to another direction. Taking his gun, Angelo swiftly moves toward Rocco and Antonio and they all began to use their weapons while firing. I was standing behind a palm tree trying to save myself from getting shot. I recollect Antonio running to my direction when darkness crawl all over my eyes, I felt his arms around me and gun fired behind of me—maybe he killed the person who attacked me.

I growl in pain and adjust myself to sit on the bed. The door creaks open revealing Antonio and my brother. They walk inside then exchange glances with each other.

Within a second my brother is beside me and Antonio stands by the edge of the bed, he has his hand inside the pockets. I stare him looking at me, the man does not have any emotion displayed on his face.

"How are you feeling?" Angelo asks with a soft voice.

"What happened to me?" I whisper.

"Someone hit you on the head." Angelo runs his hand breezily on my hair.

"Do you still need a doctor? The previous one gave you injection." Antonio asks coldly.

I shake my head, "no, I'll be fine." My eyes flickers from Antonio to Angelo.

"Can I have a word with my sister, if it's okay with you?" Angelo requests Antonio and it felt weird for some reasons.

Nodding his head Antonio exits the room closing the door behind his back. I sigh gazing at the closed door. Anger crepts over me and tears begin to leak from my eyes.

"This is how things will work now. My brother needs permission to talk to me." I state.

He sighs, rubbing his chin he stands up then faces the wall, I swear I saw a glint of tears on his eyes. "When you were unconscious I talked to Antonio and Rocco. They are allowing me to stay in Chicago. In fact I will be working for them..." he says, I can spot the happiness in his voice. "New York does not mean anything to me. I am done with that city." The sadness in his tone touched my soul.

"Are you sure about the decision?" I utter then chuckles, "you will be working for Antonio here, he is the Capo of Chicago therefore in New York you have a high possibility of becoming the next Capo." I explain warmly.

"Father would never choose someone apart from Luca." He glares at me with dread in his eyes.

Pressing my lips together I nod my head, there's not other way for my brother all he has now is to work for the Giordano. I am glad that he will be close to me at least I'll know he is in this city.

"I will always be grateful of having you as my brother, Angelo." Opening my arms I gaze at Angelo. A smile appears on his face then he rush to hug me I then tighten my grip around him and smell his scent.

"What actually happened yesterday?" I question him nervously.

Pulling apart he sits beside me then meets my gazes. "It was the Bratva, we don't know how they've walked into this compartment."

"Who saved me?"

"He loves you." He mumbles in a swift and I drag my attention to him with stitches brows.

"No, he doesn't." I shake my head with a nervous smile.

"I've seen him...he killed one of the Russians because he attacked on you. Antonio didn't think about the Outfit all he had on mind was to save you and here you are—safe and sound."

"Don't give me fake impressions." My voice becomes low and convient.

"He is the only one who can keep you safe." He explains.

All I know right now is that my brother will never lie to me and I wish his words are true. Antonio killed someone yesterday, what if in the future he will come home with blood smeared all over his suit, he will scare the shit out of me. Father was quite noble of hiding the stains of blood on his clothes. I don't get sick when I see blood, I get headaches and sometimes nightmares.

Antonio will never change his habits for me. I am a object which is sold to him. It will be better if I don't live according imaginary expectations. Yesterday he killed one tomorrow he can kill hundred and someday he can kill me.

I don't trust people anymore. My own blood has turned his back on me how can I believe a vicious mafia who attacks within a blink.

The knock at the door pulls me back to world.

"Come in." Angelo raises his voice.

Hazel walks in with a tray on her hand, there is a bowl and a spoon on it. She hands me the tray. "Hope you are feeling better." Hazel puts a pillow on my back and helps me to sit straight.

"Thank you and yes." I smile as I take the tray from her hand. "Why did you bother on bringing this."

"Ask my cousin. He is quite concern about you." She grins. Her eyes wandered until it landed on Angelo. I watch as they stare at each other for a moment.

I clear my throat and let out a light cough.

"You're okay?" They both utter at the same time.

"I'm fine." Laughter escapes my mouth as I glare both.

"See you." Angelo caresses my hair then walks away from the bedroom.

"Can I help you with something?" Hazel asks me.

"No, thanks. You've brought me soup that's enough for me."

"Do ask something if you want. I'll get it and I'll be here anytime you need me." She responses with her lips curves into a perfect smile.

I drop the spoon on the tray which is on my lap and all my tastes vanishes by the second Antonio steps inside the room. I am left startled by his presence. He gestures to Hazel and she gets the sign of exiting the bedroom, Hazel closes the door behide her. I keep the tray on the bedside table, I am not capable of eating anymore.

Picking the stool from the alcove he places it beside the bed and sit down. I glances at him with horror. Somehow I am a bit scared of him—I don't know his limit of acts. He is the devil in the capitalism of caporegime life.

"How are you feeling?" He asks with an expressionless face.

"Better than before." I mumble.

"Okay." He sighs, his eyes is piercing me with a cold attitude. "I will be announcing our wedding to the entire Chicago tomorrow. I wanted to inform you first." He says while pinching the bridge of his nose.

"As if I care." My shoulders shrug.

"You don't have a choice, darling girl." He sounds wicked but challenging at the same time.

"I hate you."

"I am your owner." One of his brows lifts.

"You are a devil and I intend you would suffer the consequences for forcing me into a loveless marriage." My voice is now shaky with dread and anger.

"Yes I am a devil. The worst dead man of this city." He is fuming but there is a glint of regret in his eyes as he glances at me. "Capitalism is the legal criminal act of the ruling class and I am the caporegime of this city what can you expect from me? All I can do is to threaten people and take control of their lives." He says in a coarse tone.

"Calling you devil will be an abuse for the angel of darkness." I roll my eyes in disgust and I apprehend my words has stirred him apart, I noticed him breathing out heavily.

Silence dwells admist us then he stands up and stride to the door leaving me alone.