2

I barely slept that night as I made arrangements for everything. By about two am I had to force myself to go to bed. I only slept until seven. I woke up and showered quickly before getting dressed with the only outfit that I cared about that hadn't been packed. I was able to haul most my things to my car in the garage. The sudden need to be out of here meant that I had to leave my bike somewhere.

I dialed the only number I figured would help me.

"Nikki?" Aubrey's voice came through the phone.

"Aubrey, I gotta get outta here," I said.

"When'd you get outta prison?"

"Yesterday. Look, I'm going to withdraw all my money and I'm leaving town today. I'll call you when I get a prepaid. I just need somewhere to store my bike," I said. "I'll send for it as soon as I can."

"Yeah, swing by and I'll make you some breakfast for the road," she said.

"On my way," I said starting the bike and heading down the familiar path to her house.

Just as she'd promised when I pulled in she was waiting with the garage door open and a breakfast sandwich in hand.

"Eat up," she said. I nodded as I took a bite and we got into her car. I explained as much as I could about that night and about where I was going without giving too much away. It was a tedious and precarious line to walk, especially around the only person who I had felt cared for me in recent memory.

"Thank you again," I said. I dropped my phone in the house before heading out to the garage and heading west bound towards California.

After a full day on the road I grabbed some dinner at a fast food restaurant trying to ration my money as much as possible. I also grabbed a cheap prepaid cell phone and called Aubrey to let her know I was okay.

I slept uncomfortably in the Walmart parking lot for a few hours before deciding to hit the road again. I'd finally made it to California, now just to find Charming. About ten pm, I pulled into the hotel and asked for a room. The guys gave me a weird look and that's when it clicked that this was the kind of place prostitutes frequented.

"Look, I just need a bed and a running shower for the night," I sighed and he nodded handing me a key. I headed off to the room and tossed myself onto the bed, thankful to be as far away from home as I was.

As I was trying to fall asleep, a group of Harley Davidson's rumbled by, earning a smile from me. No sound is more relaxing than that of a motorcycle.

The next morning, I called the number for the landlord of the apartment and she told me that I could see it and maybe sign the paperwork today. I agreed and told her I'd meet her at one pm. That gave me a couple hours to shower and get ready before the meeting.

When I was ready I still had a little time to kill so I called Aubrey and checked in again to let her know what was going on and that soon I'd get a more permanent cell phone.

She was worried but agreed and said that she'd had a visitor looking for me. Luckily she lied and told them she hadn't seen me since my lockup and they bought it. I'd tried my hardest to make the house seem like I hadn't been there at all, but my need to clear the dust might've done me in. I mentally scolded myself for my stupidity. Aubrey was still on the phone and started to yell at me for being so hard on myself. She hung up a little before 12:30 with a promise that I would be the first to know of any trouble.