13

When I woke up about eight am the following morning, Happy was no longer in my bed. I wondered if maybe I'd dreamed all of what had happened last night. I wiped my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a second.

My phone ringing made me jump. I grabbed it and answered it without thinking.

"Hello," I said, clearing my throat a little so I quit sounding like I just woke up.

"Where the hell are you Nick?" Her voice rang through the phone. I instantly hung up and texted Juice to ask him if he could run the number and then block it for me.

I headed to the kitchen, still startled by what had happened this morning. Noise drifting down the hall had me tensing in seconds. I walked slowly and silently, relaxing when Happy came into view.

"Morning little girl," he said without turning to face me.

"Morning Hap," I said, walking up behind him and wrapping my arms around him as he cooked.

"Who called?"

"Just someone from my past. Nothing to worry about," I lied. He set down the spatula in his hand and turned to face me.

"Bullshit," he said.

"Look Juice is gonna trace the number and then block it when I get to the garage, so it's handled okay," I said.

"I told you I would protect you little one," he said. He shook his head as he turned back to the food.

"I'm just not ready to talk about it Hap," I said.

"That's bullshit too," he said. "Witsec?"

"No," I said. "I'm here of my own free will. Landed in Charming because it's the furthest place I could find that I figured she'd never find."

Fuck, I thought. Aubrey is the only one with my number.

"I've gotta call my friend. I only gave this number to one person back home," I said. I dialed her number but I got no answer. I texted her and she promised she was okay and hadn't given out my number.

"I can't protect you without the truth," Happy said.

"I can protect myself," I said. He was pissed he slammed the cooking supplies down and stormed out of the apartment.

I finished the eggs as I drank a cup of coffee slowly. I ate in silence, terrified of everything from Happy hating me to what would happen if she found me.

I dressed in some work jeans and a long sleeve Harley shirt since it was a cooler day. I slipped my hair into a low bun so I could pull my helmet on and ride to work.

When I pulled into the garage, Juice was waiting. I handed him my phone and he walked off into the clubhouse as I headed in to punch in.

"Hey baby," Gemma said.

"Morning," I said softly. "Where's Hap?"

"Not sure. Never came back last night," she said.

"He stayed with me. Asked me to be his girl but then we got into a fight this morning," I said. "It was dumb, over the fact that I think I can protect myself."

"What did I tell you about letting him in?"

"Easier said than done Gemma," I said and walked out.

"Get back here. You and Juice are on repos today."

Great, a full day of sitting around and waiting for orders. Just how I wanted to spend my day.

"I'll go wait with Juice then," I said not giving her a chance to respond as I walked towards the clubhouse. Happy pulled onto the lot as I made it to the door but I just kept walking.

I sat down on the barstool next to Juice.

"Traced it to Washington, Indiana," he said.

"Good, that's where she's supposed to be," I said.

"It's blocked too," he said, handing my cell phone back to me.

"Thanks Juan," I said, hugging him tightly.

"You need to tell us the truth so we can protect you," he said.

"I'm not ready to talk about it."

Our conversation was cut short by Happy walking in.