24

I went back to helping Gemma for a while.

"You okay?" She asked. I just nodded. She gave me a look that said I don't believe that bullshit.

"No," I said softly. "I thought I'd gotten far enough away. How could I have been so stupid?"

"You are not stupid," Gemma said, pulling me into a hug.

"You picked the best place in the world to land Nick," Quinn said. "Any one of us would do anything to protect you and most of us barely know you."

"Thank you," I said softly, looking between the two.

"I'm almost done here. Why don't you two go out to the garage for a bit? You can get some more work done on your Panhead," she said.

"Yeah," I said, wiping my hands and looking over to Quinn.

"Alright babysitter, let's go," I said and led him out to the garage. He and I talked a little as I worked. He loved the bike I was working on and had some crazy ideas for customizations. A few of them I did make mental note of.

"You should see my Street Glide some time," I said. He just chuckled and nodded. When it quieted down, we could both hear the faint sounds of Harleys. I smiled softly and cleaned up what I was working on to go out and greet the guys.

I stood outside and watched them pull in. When Happy got off his bike he stormed inside. I watched as he made his way into the clubhouse before going to run after him.

"Give him a minute," Kozik said.

"No." I tried to push past him. He held his ground and I looked to Jax and Tig.

"Why can't I go see him?" I asked.

"Just trust us on this one Princess," Tig said as my boyfriend's figure reappeared in the doorway.

"There you are," he rasped as I walked over to him.

"Was working on the Panhead and trying to relax," I said. "You okay?"

He stared down at me as he held me in his arms. I placed my hand on his cheek and he closed him eyes as he leaned into my touch.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked softly.

"I need a new tattoo," he said.

"Was it her?" I asked. He nodded and I relaxed too.

"Thank you Happy," I said.

"Don't thank me yet," he said.

"What happened?" I asked. I glanced over at Kozik and Tig when he didn't respond.

"She shot me," he said. He pulled back and lifted his shirt to reveal some bandages on his ribs.

"Just a graze?" I asked.

He nodded. "Could've been a lot worse."

"Yeah, it could have and I'm thankful it wasn't," I said. "You've gotta take it easy for a few days though. Let yourself rest up and heal."

He scoffed a little before pulling me tighter to his chest.

"Remember who you're talking to little girl," he said.

I smiled at him and he leaned down to kiss my lips.

"I should probably go thank the guys and then get ready for tonight," I said and Happy nodded, taking my hand and leading me inside.

"Hey assholes, listen up," Happy yelled to get everyone's attention.

"Be nice," I said gently. "But," I turned to the group around us, "thank you all for whatever parts you played in making me safe again."

"Anything for Happy's old lady," Kozik said with a smirk.

"Old lady?" I asked.

"It's slipped out," he said.

"I believe his exact words were, 'this is what you get for hurting my old lady you motherfucker'," Tig said. I smiled up at Happy and he just stared back at me.

"You got something you wanna ask me?" I asked.

"No. You'll say yes," he said before dragging me down the hallway to his room.