6

A few months later, I'd settled into my new job and into Charming in general. I met most of the guys in the Redwood Charter of SOA. The guys learned pretty quick that I wasn't there to sleep with any of them. Gemma had brought me to a couple of parties and had Kip teach me to bartend but the second my shift was over and Gemma had paid me, I slipped out. I wasn't about to turn down the easy cash that bartending brought in but I wasn't really looking for that type of scene.

I was still the only female in the garage, but after a couple of weeks, I was just one of the guys. We all joked and worked together. Our lunch hours were full of practical jokes and shared meals. As much as I didn't want to be a part of the MC or of their party scenes, I couldn't help but feel at home on the lot.

My bike had been returned to me safely so I was able to start riding to work and all the guys were fascinated with the custom work I'd done on it.

Kip and I were working on a bike together when a Harley pulled into the lot. I didn't recognize the guy who stepped off but he was SOA. He was glaring daggers at everyone and when we made eye contact I quickly looked away as ice filled my veins.

"Who's the guy that looks pissed at the world?" I asked. Kip looked up to see who I meant.

"Happy Lowman," he said. I scoffed at the name as we continued to work.

"Sack, we need ya," Clay called. "You good alone Nick?"

"Don't really have a choice," I said, moving to look around the bike at the President.

"That bike's the last thing for the day," Clay said. "Then you're free to head home."

"Sounds good," I said. I continued the work on the bike, thankful for the silence brought on by the guys leaving for "club shit" as Gemma referred to it.

When I finished up the bike I headed into the office to punch out. Happy was sitting on one of the sofas twirling a toothpick between his teeth.

"So you're the new grease monkey?" He inquired.

"Somethin' like that," I said as I almost ran a hand through my hair. I paused as I remembered how dirty they were. He stared at me as I chuckled softly to myself.

"Name's Happy," he said. "You're Nick. Heard a lot about you. Guys didn't mention you were as pretty as you are though."

I laughed a little at him. "It's nice to formally meet you Happy. I wish I could say I'd heard about you."

He just shook his head a little.

"I'll see ya around," I said, walking out of the office and over to my bike. I pulled my helmet on before swinging my leg over my bike. I sped out of the lot as quickly as I could, trying to ignore Happy's eyes as they burned holes into my back.

When I got back into the apartment I sat on the sofa for a few minutes before making myself dinner. I settled in with a beer, my dinner, and a rom com shortly before six. When the movie ended, I showered and remembered I needed to pay Wayne soon, my first major expense since moving in.

I walked over to my planner that now lived on my table since I don't have an office. I wrote in to stop and pay Wayne when I got off on Thursday in case Gemma and the guys tried to keep me for the Friday night party.

I realized the date and my hand froze. This Friday was six months since the fight. Six months since I'd last laid eyes on her. I dropped my pen on the table and forced myself to breath deeply and calm down.

Six months since the fight also meant that this Friday would've been three years since we'd met. If she was angry that I'd disappeared before. She'd be furious that I was missing this Friday.