12

A couple of weeks later, Happy disappeared for a few days. I didn't really think much of it. Sure we'd hung out a bunch and were getting pretty close, but I knew he was still in the MC, so disappearances like this weren't my concern.

That was until he showed up at my apartment at two in the morning. I'd been binge watching Fuller House so I was up way later than I'd intended to be anyways.

"I'm sorry to do this to ya," Happy said as I let him in. He toed his boots off and I helped him shrug out of his kutte before he headed off to the bathroom. I followed behind him after locking the apartment door.

"What happened?" I asked as I grabbed my first aid kit and laid it on the counter. He stared past me and at the wall as I started to clean up his hands. He didn't flinch at all, making the thought that maybe this wasn't his blood cross my mind for the first time.

"Get your fucking ass in the shower and concoct a damn good explanation. I'll get your clothes cleaned for tomorrow. I'll bring you some sweats," I said, storming out of the bathroom.

When I returned he was still sitting on the toilet and had made no attempt at getting in the shower.

"Happy," I said.

"I want to tell you everything but I need to know you feel the same way that I do," he said.

"The hell does that mean?" I asked going to sit on the edge of the tub.

"I like you Nick," he said. "I need to-."

I cut him off quickly. "I like you too Happy. I thought I was making that pretty damn obvious."

"I'll explain then," he said. He started telling me about the MC and eventually he got to tonight and the fight that ended in him bashing some guys face off a cinder block wall.

"Happy," I said softly. He grabbed both of my hands in his.

"It's a lot. You can be angry." He took a deep breath. "I would be if the tables were turned."

"No I'm just worried about you. Why don't you shower and we can talk more in a bit when I've had time to process?" I suggested.

"Join me?" He asked, looking up at me with a completely straight face.

"Not tonight," I said. He stood up and started to undress. I took his clothes and started them in the washer before heading to the kitchen to make myself some tea.

I sat at the table, staring at my mug and thinking about his life. Was I really ready to take all this on for him? Absolutely. Yes. Hands down. No questions asked.

"There's my grease monkey," Happy said, sneaking up behind me.

I jumped and instantly started cursing him out. "For fucks sake Happy. Don't do that. You're gonna give me a heart attack."

He chuckled a little in response as he sat down at the table with me. We sat in silence for a few minutes before I spoke up.

"I want to be all in with you Happy. I just don't know how to do that safely," I said.

"You're safety is my number one priority Nick. No one will ever hurt you."

"You mean that?" I looked up at him, smiling as he nodded in response.

"I guess it's settled then," I said, standing up and placing my half full mug in the sink. "I'm going to go switch the laundry over and head to bed. I still have to be at TM by 10."

I was suddenly very thankful for Gemma letting me go in late tomorrow for staying late today.

"I'll take the couch."

"No boyfriend of mine is sleeping on the couch," I said. "Go to the bed. I'll be there in a minute."

I headed off to switch the laundry over, thankful the stains had come out the first time.

When I headed to bed, Happy was sitting on the edge of my bed staring at old pictures on my dresser.

"College friends mostly. Don't talk to many of 'em anymore," I said. He just nodded and I turned off the lights so we could cuddle up in the bed together.

"Goodnight Hap," I said softly.

"Goodnight my grease monkey," he said, kissing my forehead. I was suddenly very thankful for the dark as it hid the crimson blush now covering my cheeks.