33

We spent the next couple of months planning our wedding. And by we I mean me and Gemma. I got Happy's input when he would give it, which wasn't often. The only real opinions he had were the first dance song and that he wanted Kozik as his only groomsman.

In those few months I was able to return to work at the garage, which Gemma was thankful for. It also meant that Happy and I were able to start looking for a house in Charming. That was a whole other adventure that turned into a mess. We both knew what we wanted so that wasn't the issue. The issue was that no one wanted to sell to us. They'd see his kutte or they'd heard my story and they immediately said no. It wasn't a problem short term because I figured someday that people would give up and someone would sell to us. However it was a major long term problem for me. I'd started to really want a family with Happy. The whole MC lifestyle was really starting to set in (with the exception of me giving up my job).

Gemma played a big part in that. She dragged me into the MC lifestyle by the ear. She was determined to make me the best old lady she could so that, in her words, there is one around when she's gone. That meant I had to learn to cater dinners and handle lockdowns.

I got the perfect opportunity to learn that two weeks before my wedding.

I'd been working in the garage when the prospects were hollered for. I wiped my hands off on a rag as I walked into the office.

"What's going on Gem?"

"Lockdown," she said. "Garage is open for pickups only."

"What's this gonna look like?"

"You'll learn baby," she said. "But go ahead and finish the car. Guys are out rounding everyone up."

I nodded and stepped back into the garage. I went back to what I was working on and was almost finished when a hand on my hip scared me.

"Just me," Happy said so I wouldn't swing on him.

I turned to face him with a smile. He leaned down and kissed me quickly.

"Club's on lockdown," he said.

"I heard," I said, nodding a little. "Our bag's in my car. At the apartment."

"I'll swing by and grab it later today," he said. I nodded again.

"Hey, listen to me," he said.

I glared at him a little but could see the stress written across his face.

"Don't leave the lot. At all. Sometimes you'll be able to with an escort but not this time. We're on total lockdown til this shit storm is figured out. Don't fight with me right now, please. Listen to Gemma too, and the guys. We've been here before."

I nodded as I took his hand in mine and squeezed it slightly. "Promise me something Hap."

He just nodded.

"You'll come home."

"I promise you that I love you and I will do everything in my power to come home to you every night."

"I love you too Hap," I said. He pulled me into a hug and I relaxed a little.

"I've gotta go but you finish up that car and head into the clubhouse. You've got the key to my dorm."

I nodded and kissed him one last time. He turned and walked out of the garage and I went back to the car I was finishing up.

The air on the lot was more tense than I'd ever felt before, even in other lockdowns. I glanced over to where Gemma was in the office and she seemed to notice it too.