22

"Nick." Happy's voice drew me out of my concentration. I'd been working for a few hours on Kip's patches. My hands ached a little from the monotony and tediousness of the task.

"Yeah baby," I said, turning to look at him.

"What are you doing?"

"Gemma asked me to sew these full patches on the kutte for Kip's funeral tomorrow," I said. The MC was wasting no time in getting their recently deceased brother in the ground. I guess it was at least a good thing he was getting a funeral at this point.

He nodded as he moved to sit down beside me. I continued my work. I only needed about fifteen more minutes to be finished up.

"Thanks again Koz," Happy said.

"Anytime brother. Anything else you need from me tonight?"

"Nah man, find yourself a crow," Happy said. Kozik chuckled and walked away.

"How was your day?"

The question from my boyfriend caught me off guard. He usually isn't overly talkative.

"It was good," I said. "Helped Gemma with the funeral arrangements and the groceries. Then I did some work on the Panhead I bought last week and then Gemma enlisted me for this. She said that since Kip didn't have an old lady she thought I should do it."

"He loved you," Happy said. I smiled and nodded a little.

"I loved him too, like an annoying little brother but I still loved him."

Happy chuckled in agreement. "How's the Panhead coming along?"

"Just tearing it apart and cleaning the parts right now. Trying to figure out what I need to fix and what needs replaced."

"Does it run?"

"About as well as Bobby's Fat Boy," I said.

"I heard that," Bobby cut in from the bar. "There will be no shit talking the bike."

"Thing's a piece of shit, Bobby," Happy said, earning many laughs in return.

"Maybe your newest mechanic can take a look at it brother," Kozik said. "She seems to know her way around bike pretty damn well."

I blushed at the compliment and remembered I was supposed to be mad at Happy for saying no riding today.

"Hap, baby," I said softly as the guys continued to harass their brother. "Why can't I ride my bike?"

"Just until we find her. Which shouldn't be too much longer. We have a friend up at the cabin. Sweating him for info and her whereabouts. Tig's there now. I tried to refuse but he figured you needed me."

"I do," I said with a soft smile as I held up Kip's finished kutte.

"I know little girl," he said. He kissed my temple.

"I'm sorry I let you lose someone you loved," he said.

"If I'd just let you protect me from the start," I said, shaking my head.

"This ain't on you," he said. I wiped my eyes gently.

"I know. Just feels like it should be." He pulled me into his arms and held me. I heard him asking someone for a water. Before long the drink was pressed into my hand and Happy was making me drink some.

Gemma came over to check on me and saw the finished kutte and took it to Jax. Happy kissed my head and I wiped my eyes as I nodded a little to indicate I was okay.

"Shots, for Half-Sack," Jax said. Happy stood up and I went with him.

"To our brother," Jax said once everyone had a shot glass. The guys repeated after their president and we all did our shots.

"Are you ready for bed?" Happy asked lowly a short while later. I nodded and he excused us to his dorm for the night.