28

"Ma," Happy called as he led me into the house.

"In the kitchen." He led me down the short hall to the back of the house where the kitchen sat overlooking the small back yard.

"Ma, this is Nicole-."

"Ah yes the girl you've told me so much about," she said, earning a smile from me. "Please sit, talk to me."

"It's nice to meet you ma'am," I said, taking the chair she pointed too as Happy went to a cupboard and grabbed some mugs.

"Please call me Ma," she said. I nodded and she started to ask questions as I answered them. She wanted to know all about me and about how her son was treating me.

"He's been amazing to me," I said, smiling at him as he sat a coffee in front of me. "Real gentleman. I can't definitely tell he was raised well."

She smiled at the compliment. "He was such a good kid. Still is."

I could tell he was listening to us but he never reacted to anything we said. He just kept going around tidying things up and sorting through the mail. I figured he was trying to make sure her bills were paid.

"Well, I don't often get to compliment him, I work with a bunch of his friends so they would never believe me," I said.

"You're a mechanic too?" She asked.

"Yes, that's how Happy and I met was at the garage I work at. We became friends and I started making enough dinner for two in case he decided to drop by. He didn't until he was invited though. Haven't been able to get rid of him since," I said.

"'M not goin' anywhere little girl," he said, turning to smirk at home before leaning on the counter and continuing to read whatever was in his hand.

"I sure hope not," I said with a smile.

"My son has never brought a girl that he's dating to meet me before," she said. "You must be pretty special if he thinks that you should meet me."

I blushed at her words and I knew Happy saw it when I caught him staring at me. I nodded a little as I tried to formulate a response from my jumbled by embarrassment thoughts.

"She sure is Ma," he said and winked to me. I blushed harder and he smirked.

"He's pretty special to me too. First person I've really thought of as family in a while," I said. His eyes lit up a little at the compliment.

His mother went on to tell me story after story about Happy. After a couple hours another older woman showed up and Happy introduced her as his aunt. She said hi and went right to housework and making an early dinner so Happy and I could head back to Charming tonight.

"They're amazing," I said when Happy and I got a second alone.

"They're warming up to you," he said.

I smiled and nodded. "I think they like me."

"You think everyone likes you," he said.

I giggled a little and nodded some more. "To be fair though I did get you to like me and everyone thought you hated everything except your Ma."

He just grunted in agreement and leaned down to kiss me before his mother and aunt reappeared.

We spent a while talking after dinner before Happy decided we needed to head back to Charming.

When we were in the car and out of Bakersfield I freaked out a little.

"Happy, you could've told me you were taking me to meet your mother," I said. "What if I had screwed up or had dressed like a hooker or something?"

"I would've made you change," he said. "You would've just stressed about it and you did great. She told me she loves you already and wants to know when we're getting married and having kids."

"I want to know that too," I said.

"Let's start with the tattoo," he said. "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow it is."