27

"Kids," Happy said, turning from the news to face me. We were making breakfast together before whatever he had planned for the day. He was clearly still hung up on our conversation while we were falling asleep last night.

"Yeah, someday," I said, smiling at the thought of the two of us living together with a couple little kids running around.

He nodded as I finished up the food and made some plates.

"I know you aren't big on talking or emotions or like family," I said as we sat down at the table together with our food and coffee.

"My biggest flaw," he said.

"No," I said. "I understand the life and how it benefits you in the life. I just, I want things like marriage and a family to be topics of conversation. I know the life isn't exactly made for a life outside it, but-."

"You've always wanted to be a Mom, huh?"

I smiled and nodded. "I love kids. I know they're a lot, but I also think they're worth it."

"There's never been anyone I would consider it with before," he said. I smiled again and nodded.

"All I'm asking is you to consider it," I said. He nodded. "How are your ribs?"

"I'm fine little girl," he said.

"Did you sleep okay?"

"Why are you so concerned?" He asked. His voice was harsh but I wasn't sure that he meant it to be.

"I care about you Hap," I said. "I want you to be okay. You got shot protecting me, at least let me help you heal up from it."

"Ma's the only woman who's ever cared for me this much before."

I nodded in understanding. "Let me show you that we're all not one and done whores."

He smirked a little. "My whores were never one and done."

"I'm sure they always came back for more. Don't know how anyone could be one and done with you."

He chuckled at that.

Before long our breakfast was over and I headed to shower and get ready. I braided my hair and did a full face of makeup before getting dressed in some jeans and a short sleeve blouse. I slid on some black heels and returned to the couch where Happy was watching TV.

"Ready baby?" I asked.

He looked me up and down and nodded approvingly. "You look great baby."

"Thanks," I said. He stood up and I grabbed a water from the fridge before we headed out.

As he drove, we listened to some soft music and talked a little. He told me we were going to Bakersfield but he still didn't tell me why. I knew that's where his Mom was but I wasn't sold that he was taking me to meet her. Kozik had let me know that Happy didn't take many people to meet his Mom.

Sure enough, he pulled up in front of a little house that he'd described to me once as being his childhood home. I smiled at the small home as I tried to imagine a little and carefree Happy Lowman. A Happy from before life and his chosen career hardened him. A Happy that played tag and rode bikes with his friends. This was the place he brought high school flings and the place he'd hang out with friends.

I smiled at the roses out in front of the house. They were beautiful. My heart warmed at the idea of a woman I've never met tending the flower beds as a young Happy Lowman ran around causing chaos.

"Little girl," Happy said and my attention turned back to him. We were still just sitting in the car out in front of the house.

"I don't think you did it justice Hap. It's beautiful," I said.

"You're just saying that. It's old and run down. You ain't gotta be nice to me about it," he said.

"Happy," I said, taking his hand. "I genuinely think it's beautiful and it's the exact type of place that I imagine a little you running around in. I can see you causing chaos for your Mom. And that kind of makes me want kids more."

He just shook his head a little and almost smiled. I could see the light in his eyes though.

"Let's head inside," he said and we got out of my car.