Chapter 17: Yuri's Birthday Part 1

"Keigo, if you're coming to Yuri's volleyball tournament then get your ass out here!" I yelled, putting on a coat and grabbing my keys. "I'm not waiting for you after I get in my car."

"I'm coming." Keigo came rushing out of the hallway, putting on a pair of sunglasses. "It takes a lot to hide being famous when you want to go out."

"You're literally just putting on sunglasses," I said. "You have wings. That's like your most recognizable feature."

"The powers sunglasses have in hiding who someone is is amazing," Keigo responded, putting on his coat. "Don't underestimate it."

I rolled my eyes, opening the door and walking out. Keigo caught up, joining me in the elevator before it closed completely.

Elevator rides are always awkward. I don't know what it is about it, but it's just weird.

It's especially weirder now that I've recognized my feelings for him. Even though I don't want to.

"So," Keigo started, "how you doin?"

I burst out laughing. "That's the best you have?" I asked. "That just makes it more awkward, I think."

"Well I tried."

More silence.

Holy crap since when is silence so loud.

Finally freedom from the elevator.

I walked out, hurrying to my car so I could get to the tournament on time. Keigo ran after me, opening the passenger door and trying to figure out how to get in.

"Dude, just sit in the back," I said. "I don't want your wings to wack me in the face while I'm driving."

Keigo let out an exaggerated sigh, reluctantly sitting in the back seat while he muttered some sort of nonsense.

It was a long drive to the high school Yuri's playing at. Mainly because I have no fucking clue where I'm supposed to be driving. Keigo's muttering and directional sense didn't help either.

"Keigo, stop tal—"

"Left."

"Shut up."

"Left."

"You're not helping!"

"Turn left!"

"Oh my god!"

That's pretty much how the whole car ride went. By the time we had gotten to the high school gym I was so done with his shit I left outside. Of course, he followed me inside, but I was able to get rid of him for a few seconds at least.

We found spots at the bottom of the bleachers—personally my favorite spot because bleachers are scary as hell sometimes. One we sat down, I immediately started looking around the court for Yuri. I spotted her just as the other team served the ball.

They kept passing the ball back and forth until it someone hit it out of bounds.

I have no fucking clue what's happening or what these players are trying to accomplish, but I'm here. So I guess I have to pretend to understand.

Keigo had left at some point to get snacks from the concession stand. Every minute or so half the audience would erupt into applause for the team they're cheering for.

When it had reached the small break between games, I stood up to greet Yuri, but I was stopped by a teenage girl and, who I assumed to be, her boyfriend.

"Hi," the girl started nervously, "are you Y/n L/n? The one that sings Burnt Out and IDK You Yet?"

I smiled kindly. "Yes, I am."