Chapter 3

It was a normal day at the station for the blonde, the twins were at nursery, she had a few calls here and there.

Everything was as it normally was.

Maya was currently doing chores as she swept the floors of the station, it was windy outside, which caused leaves to be blown into the building anytime someone opened the door.

She was at the entrance of the station when she heard the phone ring, her and Warren were the only ones at the station, everyone else was on a call.

They had aid car today.

Maya answered the phone after noticing she was the only one close enough to the ringing devise.

"Hello station 19 how can I help you?" she asked politely through the phone, as she awaited a response.

"Hi, am I speaking to Maya bishop?" The woman on the other end asked.

She recognised that voice.

"Miss Gardner?" She asked.

"Hi Maya" the woman spoke.

Maya was fond of her sons' teacher, she was sweet, and she secretly had a soft spot for her boys.

"Is something wrong? Why did you call?"

All sorts of thoughts swirled around in Maya's mind, but none of them prepared her for what she heard.

"Well I've got Rustle with me, he was playing in the park and seemed to get his arm stuck in one of the bars. We managed to remove it, but I think he might have broken it, or at least sprained it. He said he can't move it and any time we try to do so much as touch it, he pulls away and starts crying" Miss Gardner explained.

Maya held her breath, her stomach filling with knots.

"Oh god, I'll come and collect him right away" she responded.

"That'll be great, I'll get him ready now" the teacher replied, both women said their goodbyes before ending the call.

"Warren!" Maya called, as she frantically searched around the station for the man.

"What's wrong?" Ben asked, as he appeared from the beanery, almost bumping into Maya.

"Rustle might have broken his arm, I have to go to the nursery to pick him up" Maya rushed, before she made her way to the locker rooms so she could receive her jacket.

"He broke his arm? How?" Ben asked, as he followed behind the blonde.

"He was playing in the park at school and got his arm stuck in one of the bars, they managed to remove it, but apparently he won't let anyone touch it because it hurts too much" Maya grabbed her jacket from her locker before making her way towards reception.

"Take him straight to Grey Sloan, I know an amazing doctor that would be able to help with his arm, Dr Carina DeLuca has recently joined the hospital, and she's amazing with children, as well as her job of course"

Maya didn't say anything, Ben didn't know she knew who Carina was, she would have said something but she had somewhere to be.

Both firefighters made their way to the doors of the station, but before the blonde could leave, Ben placed his arms on Maya's shoulders, causing her still her movements for a moment.

"He'll be alright, get him straight to Grey Sloan" Ben comforted, he received a nod from the blonde, before she took off.

Maya had arrived at the nursery, she had ran there, of course.

She stood outside for a moment to take a few deep breaths before walking inside the building.

"I'm here for Rustle" she told the woman at the desk, watching as she smiled at the blonde before picking up the phone.