Chapter 12

*Engine 19 ladder 19* Carina decided to visit Maya whilst she worked but she didn't get much time with the blonde before she had to run off on a call.

"I'm sorry I'll be back" Maya kissed Carinas cheek before running to the engine.

Carina had nothing to do so decided to stay at the station.

The twins were at daycare so she had nothing to do, she opted for going up into the beanery.

So that's what she did.

"Hi Travis" Travis looked up from the cook book he was reading and smiled at Carina.

"Carina hi" she smiled in response before walking over to Travis and standing by his side.

"What are you making?" She asked as she read through the recipe"

"Bolognese" Travis replied.

Carina nodded and made her way over to the table before sitting on a chair.

"You're hungry?" He asked glancing over at Carina.

"A little Sì" Travis smiled before speaking again.

"I'm sure they'll be tired when they get back, they're on a four alarm" Carina laughed at this.

"Maya will be hungry Sí" carina replied smiling at Travis.

"You know she hasn't been eating lately. Only main course meals" Carina nodded.

"I noticed"

"I'm worried" Carina continued.

"I mean it's probably nothing she's a healthy person maybe it has something to do with that?" Travis inquired.

"Maybe" Carina thought deeper though.

Most eating disorders started like this.

"I'll speak to her about it" Travis looked up from his book again.

"I wouldn't push it though, she pushes things like that away" Carina nodded not wanting to upset Maya with the topic.

"I'll just keep an eye on her then" Travis nodded thinking that was the best option for now.

"Hi" Maya's call had finished, she was hot and sweaty, and smelt like soot.

"Hi Bella" Carina didn't care if Maya was smelly and sticky, she wanted to kiss the blonde.

Even if it was just a peck on the cheek.

"You've been keeping Travis company?" Maya asked as she took a seat next to Carina at the table.

"Sì" Travis shook his head.

"If anything I've been keeping her entertained" Maya laughed quietly at the two before standing.

"I need to shower" Travis nodded his head in agreement.

"Yes you do" Maya glared at Travis.

"Shut it you" Maya left the beanery and went for a shower.

*************************************

Carina had now left the station and was at work, Maya had eaten Travis' meal he had made the team plus Bailey and Carina.

"Max hunny don't do that" Maya noticed Max biting his nails and warned him softly not to before she pulled his hand away.

"Why?" He asked his blue eyes looking at Maya's carbon copy.

"Because baby it's bad for your health" Max nodded his head not saying anything else about the matter.

"Mommy" Rustle waddled over to Maya, his fists rubbing at his eyes.

"Is someone tired?" She asked before pulling Rustle into her lap.

"Bed time boys?" She asked, smiling as they nodded their heads.

Her shift had finally finished so she lifted both boys onto her hip before making her way out of the bunks and out of the station.

Maya placed the boys down for their nights slumber.

Maya stood by their beds for a moment crouched down on the floor.

She couldn't help but notice the cracking of Max's breathing as he slept.

Maya suffered with asthma when she was around the age of five and was worried that maybe Max and Rustle would get it too.

Perhaps that was it, but the mum inside of Maya caused her to think over wise.

She left their room before dialling Carinas number on her phone.

"Hey" a tired voice sounded out through the speaker on her phone.

"Late shift tonight?" Maya asked as she sat down on the sofa.

"Yeah" Carina breathed before sipping her much needed coffee.

"What's up?" She asked when Maya didn't say anything else.

"Could I book an appointment?" Maya asked.

"For you?" Maya laughed quietly at Carinas response.

"No not for me. For the boys" Maya replied.

"Ahh Sì yes when for?" Carina asked slightly intrigued as to why Maya wanted her to see the twins.

"Tomorrow?" Carina skimmed through the pages in her diary to see if she had anything booked for tomorrow.

"I can do tomorrow at around 12:30?" Carina replied.

Maya had a short shift tomorrow and luckily for her it finished at twelve.

"I can do that" Carina smiled in response.

"Great" Maya nodded her head before Carina spoke again.

"Why Bella?" She asked.

"I was watching them sleep and noticed Max's breathing was heavy and croaky" Maya replied sighing as she rested her head against the back of the sofa.

"It's probably nothing Bella"

"I know" Maya nodded.

"I just want to make sure" Carina nodded in understanding, she'd do the same for her children.

""It's better to be safe than sorry" Carina replied earning a small smile from Maya.

"Exactly" there was a pause for a moment before Carina spoke again when her pager urgently beeped.

"I must go I'm being paged"

"Goodnight have a good shift I'll see you tomorrow" Maya said.

"I'll see you tomorrow" Carina smiled before ending the call and getting back to work.

AN:

Max is probably fine. Right?