Chapter 27

New Year's Eve

"3... 2...1... happy new year!" Everyone has been collected together to watch the fireworks at the station for New Year's Eve.

The boys weren't a fan of the loud noises imploding in the sky, and unfortunately for Maya and the rest of her team New Year's Eve was one of their busiest nights of the new year.

Maya had learnt that the twins weren't a fan of fireworks last year so invested in some noise counselling headphones for them, meaning they could enjoy the colourful flames in the sky without hearing them.

Maya kissed Carina softly as the brunette placed her hand against her cheek and pulled her closer.

The unexpected soft gesture causing Mayas breath to hitch in her throat.

Maya pulled away from the kiss and looked up at the sky watching as the colourful flames erupted above their heads.

Carina still had her eyes shut as she rested her hands gently on Mayas waist, breathing her in as she lazily drew patterns against the fabric of her uniform.

Maya glanced down at her girlfriend and smiled adoringly as Carina now had her eyes open unashamedly staring at the blonde.

Their moment was interrupted by the loud sirens wailing throughout the station.

Both Rustle and Max were each within the arms of Andy and Travis and flinched when they heard the sirens through their headphones, eyes searching for their mother.

Maya turned her head so she was looking at her boys hoping they'd calm down slightly knowing she was still there close by them both.

"I'm here" she squeezed Carinas hand gently before walking the few steps towards Andy and Travis so she could balance a twin on each hip.

They were starting to get too old for this but Maya always ignored that thought in her head because she wanted to savour the moments she could treat her little boys as babies before they grew up completely.

Max clutched onto Mayas sleeve as Rustle stared up at the sky now that he felt settled.

Both Andy and Travis were out of sight now as they ran off towards the engine to attend the call they had just been given.

Maya wasn't assigned to work unless she absolutely needed to and it was emergent at the station, for as long as she'd worked at Station 19 she had always kept her uniform on even if she wasn't assigned to work on new years, there were always accidents she needed to get involved in.

Somehow.

Carina could sense Max being unsettled slightly so offered to take Rustle from Maya so the blonde could attempt to calm down the panicked little boy currently clinging to her girlfriend.

"Thank you" Maya mouthed watching as the brunette smiled before turning around so she could point at the fireworks with Rustle.

Maya could see Max eyeing everything around him clearly being panicked by the sudden loud noise from the sirens that managed to cut through the silence the noice cancelling headphones gave him.

She pulled one of the headphones from his ear slightly as to not allow him to hear the fireworks too much, but just enough so he could hear what she wanted to say to him.

"I've got you" she slid him around so his legs were wrapped around her waist fully, legs dangling as his chest was flat against hers and his head rested on her shoulder, her heartbeat thumping beneath her chest.

She knew her heartbeat had always calmed him down when he was distressed and hoped that in this moment it did too.

Whilst Carina had hold of Rustle Maya slipped away from the firework display and into the station in hopes to settle Max down.