Chapter 5

Maya had taken lots of thought and consideration into making plans with Carina.

It was the new year and Mayas spirits were feeling high, and she felt good about the year.

She had thought about messaging her, time and time again.

She wrote out the message, her finger hovered over the send button, but then quickly ridded the message, sending nothing to the brunette.

She hadn't sent any of the things she wanted to do with the Italian, something was stopping her; it was fear.

She didn't want to get hurt, she had spent most of her life building up walls, walls that her father had a habit of breaking.

He could some how manipulate the blonde, it was painful.

She tried taking down parts of these walls, slowly.

When the twins were born she had one goal, one wall, and that was to protect her sons; love them.

The twins made her walls slowly disappear, if she got hurt then she'd guard herself again.

These walls would reappear.

"Mommy can I play phone?" Max asked, as he sat on one of the sofas at the station, his hands gesturing to the phone in Maya's hand.

"Yes my love" she answered, she hadn't thought about the current message that lingered on her phone.

"Thank you" Max received the device, he was smart for his age, but he wasn't exactly a genius when it came to technology, I mean he's 2 for crying out loud.

So as any toddler would, he clicked any button on the keypad, in which Maya hadn't realised sent the message to the brunette.

The message she hesitated to send for so long.

The day went by as usual, Maya had some small calls, the twins were at the station; it was a weekend which meant they spent most of their day there.

They had some heavy snow coating Seattle, making it difficult when they received a call.

The trucks were hard to drive on thick layers of snow.

Maya was on desk duty, the others were on a call, and she had just managed to get both twins down for a nap.

Maya liked doing desk duty, yes it wasn't fighting fires, but it gave her some time to relax, because not many people walked through the station.

She was filling out some charts about their previous call, it was silent in the station, before her phone started to ring.

She picked it up and read the name on the device.

"Huh?" Why was Carina ringing her?

"Hi Bella" that voice, that soft, gentle caring voice.

She adored it.

However, she was still very confused as to why she had called.

"Hi" she responded, not really knowing what to say.

"You sound confused" Carina said, laughing quietly to herself.

"A little, you're calling me because?" She asked, not wanting to sound rude.

"Our date Bella, you messaged me some ideas"

"I- wait what?" She didn't message her, she had thought about it, contemplated it for hours, but she never clicked send.

"What time did I send you this message?" She asked the brunette, feeling slightly stupid.

"Around 2:30pm" she answered.