5. Checking In

"Jamie, you gotta be nice to my brother later"
I rolled my eyes, continuing with my scoffing of the bowl of dry cereal. I refused milk when Andrew offered, I liked them crunchy.
"Come on Jamie, look at me. Tom's really nice. I know doctors and stuff are daunting but please hear me out"

"It's not daunthin-"
I swallowed my mouthful of cereal.
"I'm not scared! Why would I be?"
I defended, really successfully hiding my fear of doctors.

"Well he's only a nurse if that helps your totally-not-scared self"
Andrew joked, but I didn't think it was funny.

I frowned and looked down, realising I was out of cereal. I leaned forward on my knees and grabbed the box. I was gonna pour myself another bowl but I thought 'hey, why not cut out the middle man'. I began taking handfuls straight from the box to my mouth.

Andrew didn't let me use my ingenious technique for long.
"Oh god Jamie, stop that"
I ignored him and he narrowed his eyes at me. Andrew grabbed the cereal box back off me. I glared at him.
"What gives! I'm hungry"

"You can have as many bowls as you want- but you're not getting hold of the box again"
He poured a full amount into my empty bowl. I still scowled
"Why?"
"Because one, eating it out of the box with your hands is plain unsanitary. And two, just look at the mess!"
He scolded me as I looked down and realised that for each handful of cereal I'd eaten about one and a half ended up on the floor.

I huffed, before choosing to move past the mess and continue my breakfast, begrudgingly eaten out of a boring old bowl.
Andrew chuckled at me.
"So, what are you gonna be for Tom?"
I shot Andrew a glare and spoke with my mouth full, sputtering a bit
"Don thalk down ta me! I'm noh gonna hur' im"

Andrew raised an eyebrow at me.
"Stop talking with your mouth full, and don't kid yourself you're a mean pusher- I'm still bruised from last night"
Andrew pitifully held his arm and I frowned.

Andrew had refused to change the tv channel from the boring old news, so I rightfully voiced my concerns through pushing and trying to wrestle the remote off him.

That just got the tv turned straight off and the remote put up on a top shelf till I apologised. Which took a while, I was being admittedly stubborn.

"Thats not the same thing!.. Why does he even have to come?"
"Cause I wanna make sure I don't have to take you to hospital, hospitals are expensive and never much fun"

I grumbled and angrily stabbed my spoon into my bowl, cereal flying. Andrew sighed.
"It's just a checkup kiddo, it'll be ok"

The way he spoke to me, it was calming but extremely frustrating. I wanted him to keep reassuring me but I also wanted to kick him in the shin for making me feel like that.

So I just stayed silent, leaving Andrew to clear away the rest of breakfast in the cold shoulder I was giving him.

I picked up the bowl and tried to pour the rest of cereal into my mouth, but I only achieved half of it, the last few spilling onto the floor. Before Andrew could say anything I got up from my chair and ran out of the kitchen.

"Hey!"
Andrew called after me
"Careful, you're still supposed to be 'taking it easy'. Tom's not gonna be happy!"

My ankle had started to feel better recently and Andrew had given me permission to walk about by myself. I unhappily slowed down, but still scurried up the stairs. Andrew yelled again.

"What did I just say Jamie! And get dressed while your up there, tom'll be here soon"
Andrew had of course, already been dressed by the time I'd woken up, in a casual sweater and jeans.