22. The Plan

"Jam come on, it's gonna be ok"
"No it's not"
Jamie whined. It was early morning and we were outside the doctors for our follow up appointment with Dr eggleston.

Problem was Jamie spotted other people going into the clinic, and refused to get out of the car. So I was standing at the open passenger door trying to coax Jamie out.
"You said no one else was seeing the doctor!
"Jam other doctors work here, lots of people have to go to the doctors"

Jamie pulled their knees up to their chest and buried their head
"I don't wanna be seen in there"
I sighed, trying to figure out something comforting to offer Jamie.

"Well we're right on time for our appointment so we won't be waiting long, and you remember the tv from last time. It might have some puppies playing"
Jamie gave me a little glare when I said puppies but they were obviously tempted. Deciding to try their lucky.

"Fine, but I get to do cartwheels in the house from now on"
They jumped out of the car, and grinned at me like I was trapped in the deal. I laughed

"Sorry jam not a chance"
I shut the car behind them before they had a chance to get back in. Jamie whined and genuinely stamped their foot.

I began walking but turned when I didn't hear jam behind me. I gave them a look.
"Would you rather I carried you in?"
Jamie blushed and shook their head, begrudgingly following me into the office.

As we entered I felt a tug at the fleece I was wearing, looking down to see Jamie right up beside me and holding onto my sleeve, observing the whole waiting area. They seemed especially fixated on the kiddy books and toys left out.

I didn't say anything, knowing they'd get embarrassed if I acknowledge any of their fuzzy headed actions.

The early appointment had not gone down well with morning jam. They were tired, feeling fuzzy and in no mood for anything.

I swear the grumpy thing throws a pillow like no other.

And by the time I managed to convince Jamie to get dressed it was too late for food, so breakfast was in a bag in my pocket.

"Take a seat and the doctor will be with you shortly"
I thanked the receptionist and we moved over to the waiting area, a few other people sitting there too. I sat us down as far away from everyone as I could.

Jamie, given the space, brought their legs on to the seat and leaned back into me. I wrapped my arm around them and whispered.
"How're you doing Bambi?"
They shrugged, mooching around to look for the tv and frowned deeply when they saw it was blue screened with a no signal sign.

They pointed at it and looked at me in shock. I frowned too.
"Ah sorry jam, but don't worry we won't be bored long"
Jamie mumbled something quietly, most likely some profanity and I rubbed their arm reassuringly.

"Do you want June?"
Jamie shook their head firmly, the bunny was stashed away in a secret zippy pocket in my coat. Jam didn't want her seen, but I had a feeling she'd be needed eventually.

"How about some breakfast? You should eat before we go in"
They shrugged again and I got out the makeshift breakfast from my coat pocket.

It was just a banana and a ziplock bag of cereal but it was better than nothing and Jamie wasn't complaining. I peeled the banana and handed it to them. They started scoffing it down but immediately began coughing as they were still lying down against me.

I tutted and gently tapped Jamie on the back.
"Jamie sit up properly please"
They groaned and pushed my hand away, looking around anxiously to see if anyone was looking while they sat themselves upright.