12. You took it too far

I shut my office door behind me, sat down in my chair and put my head in my hands. I fucked it up, I pushed Jamie too far.

I listened to them downstairs. I listened as they tried not to cry out or scream in anger, but their emotions were just too much. I imagined them muffling themselves with their hands or pulling at their hair, like they tend to do. It made me wince, it was always a little disturbing to see, or listen to.

After a moment of silence, I heard an eardrum shattering screech. I sat there in my chair as Jamie presumably grew more violent downstairs. I didn't even consider going back downstairs, to calm them down or to try prevent property damage I don't know.

But I did know Jamie wouldn't be too welcoming, I've already pushed enough. They've made it clear my efforts have made not much of an impact. Can I even salvage from this point?

I tried to distract myself on my computer, doing nothing in particular, just trying not to hear my kitchen being torn to shreds. I've got some nice things in there... probably not very nice looking anymore.

Eventually all the racket downstairs came to a stop. My houses insufficiently insulated walls and my particularly good vampiric hearing finally lent to something as I could hear, very quietly from downstairs... cries.

Small, little cries and hitched breaths. It broke my heart and just about made me start crying myself. I nearly sprung from my desk and ran downstairs to join the poor child, but I kept myself in place, as much as it pained me.

I listened to Jamie as they stifled their cries and stood. I heard their small steps, out of the kitchen, down the creaky wooden flooring of the hallway, reaching the door.

There was a pause, a deafening silence that hung heavy in the air. Maybe they're considering staying, sorting this out.

My hopes was quickly squashed thought as I heard the front door open, and promptly close. I stood and peeped out my office window, and watched as my baby walked away from the house. A little more of my heart chipped away with each step.

I sat back down and sunk low in my office chair. I really fucked it up. They were so perfect, every little thing I'd come to know about Jamie I loved. Well certain aspects weren't very favourable, but I loved them non the less.

God, I sounded like a sappy git, it's only been a couple of weeks.. why was I so attached to them. I let out a sigh.

I took my phone out of my pocket, and dialed Tom, planning on inviting him over, maybe we could drown my sorrows together in whatever blood packets I've got hidden away.

Since Jamie didn't know about my whole vampiric deal, I'd hid away any giveaways. Granted that meant I couldn't enjoy blood cold, or at my usual times. It was throwing me off a little but I wanted Jamie to feel safe.

The tone rang out over and over. I waited, bouncing my leg anxiously for him to pick up. It was a little embarrassing how much I relied on him, but we look out for eachother. I helped him through his last breakup, he's helping me through this whole thing.

"Come on man.. pick up"
My voice broke up but Tom still didn't answer.

"This is Tom! Working right now-"
His cheery voice called and I scowled, ending the call and not even bothering to leave him a message.

I leant forward, throwing my phone down and hanging my head in my hands.

So much for trust, I took it too far. I over coddled and they snapped. I deserved this.

"Ah fuckkkkkk"
I cursed myself and stood up, not bearing to let myself mope. It got me nowhere, never has, never will.

I walked out of my office and cautiously down the stairs, first noticing the wet footsteps leading to the door. It didn't look like water, I cautiously stepped around the sticky looking substance and followed them back to the kitchen where I stood, surveying the damage.