8. Dinner?

"So... 2 medium chicken nugget meals, ketchup, one coffee, one Fanta?"
"Yeah thats perfect"
"Alright just pull up to the next window"

Jamie looked around curiously as we pulled around the drive through. I drove up to the window and payed, then moving onto the next, waiting a second for our food.

Soon enough the door opened and and a guy stuck his head out.
"2 nugget meals, Fanta, coffee?"
"Yup that's us"
I was handed our stuff. I thanked the man, passed the bag to Jamie and pulled away from the line, parking in the surrounding lot.

"We'll eat here so it doesn't go cold"
"K"
I took my coffee out of the holder given to us, putting in my car cup holder. Jamie started drinking the fanta, quite adorably holding it with both hands.

We ate in slightly awkward silence, Jamie hadn't said much else since the shops. Poor kid... I can only imagine how embarrassing that must've been. It really hurt to see Jamie cry like that, but we got out of there unscathed.

Suddenly my phone rang. Jamie watched as I fumbled around for it in my pocket before pulling it put and checking who it was.
"It's Tom-"
I clicked accept on the call.

"What's up?"
"Nothing, I've just got nothing to do and wanna chat"
"Shouldn't you be working?" 
I took a bite of a nugget
"I'm on break and what are you eating?"

"Me and Jamie got McDonald's-"
Jamie looked over at the mention of their name, listening in on my end of the conversation.
"-we just finished doing some clothes shopping"

I'd been giving Tom all sorts of updates about Jamie, so he was fully aware of their lack of wardrobe.

"Thats great! What'd ya get?"
"Um some hoodies, few long sleeves, jeans, socks...ummm-"
I trailed off, realising we hadn't bought anything else. Tom also questioned me.

"Did you buy pyjamas?"
"I- no..."
"Shoes?"
"No"
"Underwear?"
"No"
Watching Jamie from the corner of my eyes was interesting. They seemed to be having the same realisation that we'd missed a few things.
"A coat??"
Tom was almost laughing as I sheepishly responded.
"No"

He half laughed half face palmed as we recounted everything we totally should've bought but just never did.
"And what- you just forgot or is this some strange master plan to regress-"

I cut him off
"There was an incident in the store, we had to leave"
Jamie looked down shamefully and I frowned, offering over a hand to hold. Jamie looked to it but refused, tucking their hands into their sides and pouting.

Tom continued.
"So are you gonna go back?"
"No, were headed home. Tiring trip I must say. But I'll be doing proper dinners tonight so that'll be fun."
"Ok what do you mean proper dinner? You better be feeding that poor kid well"

"Hey we've been eating plenty, I just homemade, not outta a easy make box or a can. Pasta maybe.."
I pondered and Tom went on.
"Well if you want I can run through the shops on the way back from work, get some more essentials for yous. If you send me jamies size I can buy some more stuff for them"
"That'd actually be really helpful tom, thanks"
"Don't even sweat it. I'm just trying get my eventual nibling to like me"
"You're eventual what?"
"Nibling..."
"What's a nibling?:
"Gender neutral niece or nephew"
"Really?"
"Yeah I googled it earlier"

"Well you're certainly putting in some effort"
I laughed.
"And uh, how's everyone else doing?"
Tom let out a breath
"Well mom's half convinced you've been kidnapped and I'm just in on it-"
"Makes perfect sense-:
"I know! Dads dad, umm Stacy's one of Stacy's babies got into trouble at school and she called mom for 2 hours to cry about how hard it is for her to be a single mom... from 9 to 5 until her husband gets home"
"That poor man"
"True hero"