7. Shopping Trip

"Jamie I was thinking..."
I'd been saying it for the last couple of days but today it was gonna happen.

"...Why don't we go shopping today?"
"For what?"
Jamie pulled their attention away from the tv. I should probably stop them from watching so much.
"Clothes for you mainly, and maybe a bit of grocery shopping if we ever want to eat anything other than mc n cheese for dinner"

Jamie swung their legs up onto the couch so they were facing me instead of the tv. They had a cute little serious face on.
"I'm not a charity case"
I rebutted
"You're not a charity case bambi. We're buying essentials"
"Clothes arent essential"
"Actually they are, especially in your case"
"My... charity case"
Jamie smirked as if they'd won an argument. I tried to deadpan but couldn't help a little chuckle.

"Bambi I can't have you living in makeshift pyjamas, now can I"
That seemed to cheer Jamie up a bit. They'd started to really like it when I called them bambi.

After we watched Jamie declared there was no possible way it could be a baby movie cause of all the... ya know, death. So they were cool with the nickname.

"Since you're already dressed we can go now, get your shoes on"

I went and got my keys while Jamie put on their shoes, which had been sitting by the door, unused, for some time now.

I watched as they stood and leaned from foot to foot, mooching a bit.
"Jamie do you need to go the bathroom?"
Jamie went a bit pink
"No I'm fine"
"You sure, won't hurt to just go"
"I'm fine Andrew"

I gave them a look and they gave me one right back

"Come onnn let's just go"
Jamie bounced on their toes excitedly at the door. I chuckled at the smile on their face.
"Alright alright"
I opened the door and Jamie ran out down the drive, stopping at the end and turning back, yelling to me.

"What car?!"
I held up my keys and clicked the button, lighting up my small light blue car. Jamie booked it over to the car. I winced a little as they yanked open door and sat down in the passenger seat, slamming the door behind them.

I ran down after them and around the car, jumping in next to them in the drivers seat. Jamie being really happy and bouncy made me feel all excited too.

We drove off to the nearby superstore, it stocked everything you could ever need, including a decently sized clothing department.

Perfect for what we were after.

"What sort food do you like Jamie?"
Jamie who'd been zoned out, staring the window snapped back to reality.
"I dunno, why?"
"Cause I wanna start doing more proper dinners-"
"But I like mac n cheese"
"Well we'll still have mac n cheese nights, just not every night"
Jamie smiled.

I drove into the carpark and managed to get a spot nice and close to the store front. We both got out and walked up towards the door.

"Hey Jamie! Short stuff!"
A group of teens smoking beside the bike racks started to yell. Jamie tensed and started walking faster. I followed, leaning in and whispering.
"You care for these punks?"
Jamie almost laughed and shook their head. We kept walking

"Jamie! Come on man where have ya been! JAMIE"
Jamie continued to ignore them. I subtley put a hand on Jamies back in silent comfort as the group got louder. But then a calmer voice called out, silencing the others and catching jamies attention.

"Hey James"
I watched as jamies demeanor changed immediately, they turned and walked right over to the source of the voice. The source that had a cool smile, shaggy blonde hair and a mellow attitude.