14. I have something to tell you

Tom had sent me a message before he arrived.
Hey, that Ben kid you're going out to look for. He's here, came in through A&E couple nights ago, I saw him on the system

Ben was literally in the hospital Tom worked at, I'd have be wandering around dingy neighbourhoods, hoping there's a neighbour I could ask for information if it wasn't for this.

Thought it was odd, Tom works for a supernatural hospital... Ben couldn't be.

No. It was probably just the closest a&e, they get plenty of regular humans.

I sat in the carpark for at least 30 minutes trying to plan what I was gonna do. I figured I could find someone who knew Tom, I knew a good few of his work buddies, I'd gone to a Christmas party that one time. Just gotta find one of them... and ask about a teenagers location and condition without sounding like I'm some... freak, let's just say.

I resolved to just getting out of the car and going in, I could work off of improv.

I entered into the reception, not very busy, couple of people sitting or at the vending machine. I walked up to the desk and a honestly very tired looking man asked me.
"Hi there, how can I help you?"
"Hello, I was hoping you'd be able to tell about a boy, around 17 that came in here a few nights ago. Ben..."

I realised I didn't know bens last name or much of anything. The man stared at me blankly as I trailed off, eventually continuing.
"I'm sorry, I don't know his last name. But if you could just tell me that someone called Ben came in here, and that he's ok. That'd be great"

I was definitely aiming at little too high as the receptionist monotonely replied.
"I'm sorry sir but we cannot give out any information on our patients."

"I completely understand-"
I sighed, disappointed but didn't get snarky with the receptionist, it wasn't his fault.
"Thank you though, have a good day"
I added on before starting to walk away from the reception, putting a little smile on the receptionists face.

I tried quite desperately to think of how I could reword the very little I knew into something better for Jamie, as I doubted my ability to stealth my way through the hospital, when a woman ran up to me from the vending machine.

She was maybe in her 30s, petite, well petite for a supernatural. She probably would've just been average human height. Her blonde hair tried messily back with a dark long cardigan and small glasses framing her face.
"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear, were you talking about my son.. Ben?"

I froze a little, Ben's mother.. Jamie had said Ben didn't have any family to stay with so i assumed he had none. I realised I hadn't said anything yet and quickly got out.
"Yes, I uh yes Ben-"
I took a breath, gathering myself together a bit.

"I'm really sorry that this is strange, honestly I wouldn't trust myself if I were you"
I tried to joke, but it came out worse than I thought. It didn't scare off the woman though.
"No, you're not strange, well you are but we, my family, we're all just concerned for ben and he won't tell us much of anything-"
She awkwardly laughed, her eyes looked puffy like she'd been crying.

"-So any information you might have would be great please. I'm Mary, by the way"
She extended a hand, seeming a little desperate. I shook it

"I'm Andrew"

We sat together in the waiting room.
"So how do you know my son?"
She looked a little scared, like I'd end up being some kind of dealer or vengeful gang leader.

"Well I'm..."
I tried to think of how to define my relationship to Jamie, very nearly saying I was their dad.
"-taking care of a friend of Ben's, Jamie. They heard about what happened and they're really really scared about him. I was just trying to see if Ben was ok, to calm jamies nerves."