18. Tired

I was back to that night.

"Cubby~"
I was running, fast. I needed to get away. From the roadside into the woods, over a stream, past hundreds of identical tall trees. To the town. I needed to reach the town and I'd be safe.
"Where's my little cubby gone off to?"

I sobbed in between ragged heavy breathing. My lungs burned but it made the pain in my arm seem less.

I couldn't even bare to look, there was so much blood.

"Oh is my little cubby gonna outrun mama? How silly-"
The voice was coming from everywhere. It echoed through my skull and made my stomach flip.

"Cubby can't even run~"
I yelped as my legs gave out and I hit the ground with a thud.
"Oh poor cubby's all dirty. Let mama help"
The smooth chocolately voice made my blood turn cold. I couldn't hear the drum of paws anymore. She had stopped.

Nonono, this isn't how it happened. I could see the lights of the town just ahead of me. Im supposed to reach there, to find Ben, to safety. I was so close, just a little further.

I pulled myself forward with my arms crawling through the mud. I had to get away.
"Oh look at the little cubby crawling. Are you being naughty little cubby? Why can't you be good for mama?"
She cooed in an even more patronizing tone. She was close, watching me as tried to escape.

I shouted out hoping anyone could hear.
"HEY! PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP"

I heard a mocking laugh
"Aw my Cubby's just so little, can't even talk"
"HEL-"
Suddenly I couldn't speak, I tried and tried again but words refused to form in my mouth. I could only scream. Wail like a baby as my movements grew more and more sluggish.

My head flopped down to the dirt. I couldn't even lift my arms, I was paralyzed.
"Found you cubby"

A shadow moved around my periferal and I screamed even louder. All of the crying made me start to heave.

I caught a glimpse of her for a split second. Just a blur of silver fur matted with blood.

Everything had gone quiet apart my wails.

I felt a heavy paw press into my back.

Hot puffs of breath on my neck and something warm dripped down.
"Cubby~ it's quiet time"

I cried out again in one last attempt and suddenly all of her weight was on my back, crushing my chest and silencing me.

She chuckled again and cooed to my broken form.
"Oh so silly thinking I won't find my cubby. Cubby can't hide for long. Mama's gonna find cubby and make sure cubby can never ever leaves mama again"

I could feel myself bleeding out as she continued.
"No matter what mama will always be with you cubby. And don't worry, Mama will take care of that bad man Andi.. and then you'll just be my little cubby"

She was close to my neck again, she growled. The hot smell of iron suffocating me as more blood dripped down from her mawl.
"My cubby~"

I shot up in bed and stared forward into the darkness if my room, panting. I was covered in sweat and my bite mark burned fiercely.

It was her

I started to shake, blubbering to myself as I wrung my hands tight.
"It was just a dream, just a dream, just a dream-"
I sucked in a harsh breath trying to convince myself, but it felt so real. So horribly real.