23. Baby Steps

I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel to the song playing on the radio. Jamie stared absentmindedly out the window. The silence between us was comfortable if a bit loaded.

All the papers, lists, advice and the schedule were in the backseat. Despite being one of the most intimating pieces of paper I'd ever been handed, it was nicely decorated with alphabet blocks and teddy bears. The tiny writing in each box spelt out a number of different regression goals to hit, but with lots of room to adapt it to Jamie's needs.

But the main thing on my mind was what doctor eggleston said needed to be enforced asap. Meals, sleep and most importantly... padding.

Protection, padding, diapering whatever you call it, was something Jamie obviously needed. I'd shyed away from the confrontation about it for a while now, considering how sensitive jam's been (and understandably so).

I already knew thicker protection was the right way to go, but now I had the doctor backing me up. So I hoped Jamie would be more willing to listen to reason.

On top of that, it was a chance for me to exercise my authority, my now real legitimate authority what with the adoption process actually beginning.

That's still insane to think it's actually happening, Jamie's really gonna be my baby. Well, we're a ways off but it's happening.

As we drove home I made a plan for bringing up the dreaded padding. Strategising the different ways to approach and imaging how Jamie would react. The majority of my imagi-jams ended up going balistic, which was something I definitely wanted to avoid.

I snuck another little glance at Jamie as they watched out the window, June seated casually on their lap. They were so fragile, a sentiment I knew Jamie wouldnt want to hear, but it was true.

These days it didn't take alot to get Jamie upset. The entire situation had taken such a toll on them, and I didn't want to overwhelm them anymore. But I wasn't going to let up on this.

I pulled up into my usual spot outside the house. Jamie threw off their belt and went for the door before I'd even fully stopped the car. A habit I was not a fan of.
"Hold on-"

And Jamie was already standing outside the car, turning their head at me quizzically. I stopped the car and got out myself, before walking around and shutting the passenger door that was still wide open.
"Jam you have to wait till I properly stop the car before getting out, it's dangerous"

Jamie looked down at their feet, completely ignoring me. I sighed and let it slide, instead starting up the path and asking.
"I'm gonna make some breakfast for myself, are you still hungry?
Jamie shrugged, I noticed a little pout.

"Well would you eat some eggs? Toast?"
Jamie nodded and we entered the house, heading right on through to the kitchen.

Jam hopped into their seat while I got to work. Taking out the pan, eggs, oil and of course bread, what would the eggs be without toast. When suddenly Jamie whined.

"I wanna help"
I was a little taken aback. I turned to see they'd already gotten up onto their knees to see what I was doing better.

"Oh course jam, foods always better when we do it together"
Jamie nodded, still with a little pout on their face.

I was just going to do fried eggs, which didn't really need alot of help, given I could most likely do it with a hand tied behind my back. So I struggled for a moment to think of something to get Jamie to do.

"Here Jam"
I pulled their chair over so they could get a better vantage point, and showed them the carton of eggs.

"I need you pick out your eggs Bambi"
Jamie nodded, now completely concentrated as I put the eggs down on the counter. Allowing them to really ponder over the eggs while I heated up the small drop of oil.