32. I've got you

2 hours.

It had been 2 hours since we got home, and the situation had not improved.

I felt completely useless as i sat beneath the double fort with them. Just focusing on taking one breath after another as i rhythmically rubbed Jamie's back.

The last few hours of consistent crying was evidently affecting them as they hoarsely screamed into my lap.
"Dadaaa-"
The cry made me feel close to tears. But i forced a deep breath and strengthened my resolve. The least I could do for jamie was keep calm, seeing as nothing else was working.

Jamie couldn't run off the extra energy as the massive overstimulation was so debilitating, verging on painful. And sleeping it off was completely out of the question. Jamie was inconsolable.

It had been difficult enough in the park, with jamie wailing into my ear, fighting tooth and nail to keep the hood shielding their lycan ears from parkgoers off. And ben, though well intentioned, wasn't helping.

Jamie's shift threw him right off. Normally Ben is very good with Jamie. But how distressed the poor pup got was clearly something he wasn't ready for. It really scared him, possibly reminding him of the night with his roommates.

His attempts to level jam out were not getting through, and i tried to explain (over the screaming baby) how sensitive jam became because of the shift and they wouldn't be able to listen. But Ben was just becoming more upset.

I ended up telling him to go home. He cares about jam so much, but it would benefit neither of them to be around each other for the next while. I promised to keep him updated and we parted ways.

I never really knew how it felt for those parents whose kids were having a meltdown in the frozen section. I was sympathetic sure, but now i could really feel it.

Every person within hearing range turned to look as we passed by. Some looks were sympathetic, some pitiful, some very badly pretended they were never looking but the worst were the tuts and head shakes.

It was intense on all sides. Jam did not let up with wailing, and had definitely developed a phobia of their ears or tail being touched. Constantly shouting I was getting too close.

And so I spent the whole time comforting and reassuring that i wouldn't touch either. As well as reminding them we were nearly home, that quelled them slightly.

I managed to get them down from wailing to just crying, which was somewhat easier on my eardrums.

Once we were home Jamie wiggled out of my arms and ran ahead of me up to the nursery.

I ran up after them and entered the nursery to find them very panicked trying to get undressed. Shorts half off, whining and crying as the hoodie got stuck over their head, hitting off the ears. I rushed over.
"Here bambi, let me help"
Jamie thrashed before i could even touch them and spun around, crying.
"Where?! Andi?"

"I'm right here bambi, walk to me, just a few steps and ill take off the hoodie"
They snapped to look in my direction and took a few hesitant steps.
I calmly touched their shoulder and Jamie flinched, before realising it was me. Their breathing was so laboured. I couldn't help muttering
"Its ok, you're ok puppy, please believe me you're ok."

I carefully widened the hoodie opening so it wouldn't catch on Jamie's ears as i removed it and threw it to the side. Jamie was practically heaving, their face bright red and a bit puffy.

You could barely see the offending ears, as they were pinned down to Jamie's head, slightly hidden by their hair. Their tail twitched painfully as jamie wrung their hands through the tshirt they had on underneath the hoodie.