20. Bit of a fun break

Briiiiiiing Briiiiiiiiing Briiiiiiiiing

I looked up from the toast I was buttering over to the kitchen table. My phone was lit up with a terribly unflattering photo of tom on it.

I let it ring for a moment, considering if I was ready to invest in a call with him. When an annoyed cry rang out from the sitting room.

"ANDI PHONE"
I chuckled and walked over to grab the offensive machine. I answered the call.

"Andrew-"
I cut him off and babbled into the phone
"Tom shut up for a second I need to talk to Jamie"

I took the phone away from my ear so I couldn't hear him complain as I quickly picked up the plate of toast, a travel cup of water and walked to the sitting room.

Jamie was sitting up on the couch with June in their lap, pushing randomly on the remote and being amused by the different channels.
"Jam.."
I gently called. They turned to me and I put the toast and water down on the coffee table, their breakfast request.

They immediately began to scoff it and I told them.
"Toms just calling me, it might take a little while. Are you ok with me being out in the garden? Not too far, just at the door"
I assured Jamie i wouldn't be gone far once I saw a little frown pass over their crumb covered mouth.

Jamie had asked for some alone time after all that happened this morning, last night.. just all that had happened, and I happily obliged while filling out the midday breakfast order.

But despite wanting space, Jamie was still obviously nervous over being alone. So I had carefully explained that I was just a wall away, and could hear any sorts of shouts. Which Jamie happily took too.

"Ok...so I can still shout for you"
"Well you could just come out to me instead of worrying neighbours"
"I prefer shouting"
Jamie said with a smile and I did an over the top frown, making them cover their mouth to stop from giggling more as I left.

I walked into the kitchen and took a breath before putting the phone back to my ear.
"Hi Tom"
"Andrew-"
He did not sounds impressed. I opened up the sliding door and stepped out into my neglected garden, sitting on the edge of dirty garden chair.
"-would you care to explain why the pediatrician I recommend you has thrown himself into secretive research, referring his patients, and is most importantly refusing to give me any more favours. All after a mysterious consult in the middle of the night!"

I didn't say anything, taking a second to process everything tom had just shouted at me. He didn't like my slow response.
"Andrew answer me! Or I swear to whoever I'm telling mom"
"You wouldn't"
"...yeah you know I wouldn't but come on man!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose. I hated that in our dynamic he still had the older brother authority, despite us both being literal adults.
"How the hell do you know all that. It's been one night"
"Word travels fast amongst bored nursing staff, it's all just conjecture, Hippocratic oath and whatnot, but I know it's you and Jamie. What's happening with kid? Are you guys alright?"

I was a little happier that tom had more concern for Jamie than worries over possible boons with Perry
"Okokok, Jamie and I went to doctor eggleston, but I'm not getting into it now it's too long, and shouldn't you be saving lives or something instead of annoying me?"

"I'm on break, talk now, and talk fast"

I filled him in on everything that had happened since we'd last spoken, but I refused to divulge specifically what was going on with Jamie over the phone.
"Come on Ands why are you being so secretive, just tell me what happened"
"No, I don't know what other nosey nursing staff is listening in. I'm giving you enough detail to tide you over till we meet in person and I can properly talk to you"
He groaned.
"Fair"