28. Visitor

"Ok run me through it one more time Bambi"
Jamie huffed and walked back across the nursery to their original starting point by the wardrobe. I smiled as they held the paw patrol car toy up against its door and began again.
"So if Chase starts here-"
Jamie rolled the car along the surface then jumped it off, holding it above their heads as they ran quickly to the wall.

"-Does a bunch of cool flips and lands here-"
Jamie slammed it onto the now fully painted walls and I winced a little while Jamie rolled the toy with increased vigour up till the window sill. Where the car rolled eight last the rain lashing down outside.
"-goes all the way along here and-"
Jamie clamoured up onto the crib-bed to get a better angle as they glided the car along its standing rails.

"Does some tricks and things, lots of stuffs."
Jamie jumped back off the bed and ran over to me, holding Chases car high. Jamie reached where I was sitting on the large playmat and sat down next to me. They first ran the car along a few roads around me before making it drive up along my arm, onto my shoulder
"He could definitely beat us driving in the car!"

"Right?"
Jamie looked me expectantly but I didn't respond immediately, instead enjoying the sweet moment. Before I did properly respond
"I think you've got a point there Bambi, but is chase following proper road etiquette?"

Jamie considered, not really getting what I said, but acting as if they did very well.
"Uh yeah! Chase does everything right, look he's even got a seatbelt!"
Jamie shoved the toy in my face, so I could see the tiny plastic seatbelt on the dog.
"Oh very well Jamie, Chase could definitely beat us in a street race"

Jamie smiled, going right back to rolling chase along the roads all over the playmat while they leaned against me. I thanked whatever on earth I could this was going well. Jamie had a pretty bad nightmare last night, and was vaguely fuzzy for the day. So I suggested a bit of "playtime" in the more properly finished nursery to balance them out (as recommended by Dr eggs handy sheet).

While initially hesitant, once I'd brought out all of Jamie's favourites from our shopping trip, they'd taken it in stride. I was working to get Jamie more comfortable in the nursery, the only time in there recently being nightmare calm downs in the double tent or when I'd transfer them to the crib once I found them secretly napping.

"Andi?"
I looked down to see Jamie staring up at me.
"Yeah Bambi?"
"Who do you think would win in a fight, Chase or Bluey?"
I have to say I didn't know what to say to Jamie right away, the innocent but also remarkabley Jamie like question catching me off guard.

I just about managed to say
"Well that's quite a question hun-"
When suddenly, the doorbell went off. Jamie jumped and proceeded to pretend they totally didn't get scared. I ruffled up their hair, making them pout and me chuckle
"I'll be right back Bambi"

Jamie murmed an 'ok' as I gave them a quick one arm hug and stood. I left the room and hummed to myself as I headed downstairs. I got to the front door and opened it up, readying myself to politely decline whatever salesman or missionary was calling.

But once the door was open, my mouth fell open in shock.
"Hello Mr.. um Andrew"
I could only about muster.
"Ben... Wha-what how?"
He awkwardly smiled, adjusting his raincoat over his arm, still in the sling. His black eye was fading and there were still bandages on his neck, and assumedly under his long sleeve shirt.

I snapped out of my analytical stupor and beckoned the boy in.
"In out of the rain, come on"
He stepped in and i took off his coat, hanging it on the radiator to dry.
"Here, let's sit down in here"
I directed Ben into the sitting room and he looked around then took a seat in the arm chair. I sat on the couch and stared at him a moment longer, before actually speaking
"I know now... What you were talking about in the hospital. Jamie's bite, lycanthropy, and the regression coming with it"