Chapter 1

Marina's POV:

"Lukas?...Lukas?...Lukas wake up!!" I say only to get a groan in response. "Come on its already 7:30, school starts at 8:00 and you still need to get ready." I say taking one of his pillows hitting him repeatedly with it.

"OKAY!! Okay, I'm awake." Lukas say glancing at the time "Holy shit Maisie! Why didn't you wake me up sooner we are gonna be late?!!!" To which I smack him with the pillow one more time.

"I've literally been trying to wake you up for like 10 minutes now and don't swear at me you know I don't like it Luke." I say crossing my arms, while Luke (nickname) gets out of bed.

"Sorry, love. I'll be quick, we will leave in 10 minutes. Okay?" Lukas enquires pulling out some clothes from his dresser. "Okay, I'll go get my bag ready." To this I leave Lukas' room and head to mine.

Gathering all my homework and notebooks and everything else I need for school, stuffing it all in my cute, pink school bag that Luke bought me for our birthday last month.

It's super cute it's not like some hot pink thing, it's a light pastel pink colour and I am obsessed because Luke knows it's my favourite colour.

10 minutes later and we are walking out the door trying not to wake out mother, who is passed out  on the couch again surrounded by beer bottles. She came home last night and gave us a beating...well gave me a beating but Luke stepped in trying to protect me.

We both ended up pretty black and blue by the time she got tired and went back to drinking. I am just glad Luke was here to step in this time because last time I wasn't able to walk for two days after.

Luke found me on the kitchen floor when he came home, mother dearest (note the sarcasm) left after giving me the beating of a life time. She blames me for her marriage going to crap. She says my father gave me more attention than he did her, the same for my older brothers, I guess she didn't like that.

We finally get to school, it's not much of a walk maybe 15 minutes if you walk fast enough. We were definitely not walking fast after what happened last night we were too sore.

We reached school right before the bell rang for class so we got there just in time thank god, the last thing I need is to worry about getting in trouble for being late. I'm not really good with conflict.

"I'll see you later Maisie" Luke says going to his class as I wave goodbye to him.

...A few hours later...

It's the class after lunch, A.P. history. Ugh I HATE history it's sooooo boring. I like to try in school and get the best grades I can so that when I graduate I can go to a good college and make something of myself and hopefully have a better life than the one I'm living at the moment.

I'm interrupted from the thoughts as the principal comes over the speaker. "Marina and Lukas Sloane to the principles office, please." Oh no! Am I I'm trouble? Think Mina what did you do?!

Ugh I hope I'm not in trouble. I think to myself as I collect my belongings and head to the principals office. 

Just as I reach the door I see my brother walking up too. " Hey, what's going on?" I ask him. Hopefully he has a clue. "I have no clue." Lukas says.

Well so much for that. Luke knocks on the door and we wait until we hear a faint 'come in' from the other side. What I saw made me want to pee myself. Two police officers along with a man and the principal all inside looking at me and my twin with saddened eyes.

I just gave Luke a look that says 'this isn't gonna be good' to which he returned the same look.

"Please take a seat guys. " principal Jones says to Lukas and I, to which we do what he says. "Is everything okay? Are we in trouble?" I ask worriedly, fear evident on my face.

"Oh no! No you guys are not in trouble, but we do have some news that is going to be difficult for you to hear." The principal says, which make me even more worried.

"Unfortunately earlier today your mother we involved in a car accident and I'm really sorry to say but she didn't make it." When he said those words I immediately started to cry.

I know what she did to me and Lukas was wrong but she was still our mother and I loved her.

"I am very sorry for both your losses but these police officers have something they need to talk to you both about." Principal Jones says. " Hey guys, I'm officer Jacobs and this is officer Murphy, we just want to talk about what's gonna happen now for both of you, okay" We just nodded our heads.

I was still crying and Lukas just seemed to be in shock. "We took a look at your birth certificates and found your father and have been in contact with him, he has agreed to take you both in, to live with him and your other brothers." Officer Jacobs says with a pitiful smile.

She seems nice, I like her but now I'm so so scared. We gotta go live with our father. "When do we leave? And where does he live?" Lukas asks the officer while holding my hand protectively.

"This man here is a social worker. His name is Mr.Michaels and he is going to take you both to the airport from here and your family live in Italy so that is where you will be going."

Officer Murphy says, shocking both Luke and me. How are we gonna live in Italy we don't even speak that language.

Omg,Omg,Omg. It's okay. I gotta calm down before I pass out from worry. I have always wanted to go there so maybe it won't be too bad.

"Well if that is all the questions can you please follow Mr.Michaels to his car and he will escort you to the airport" one of the officers says. We both get up and say our goodbyes to principal Jones before following the social worker to his car.

I hope they like us and that they are nice people.