Chapter 2|How's The Cheeks?

To say my first day of Junior year was a success would be an utterly sad thing to say. A lie.

Although, the guy from the nurse's office was probably one of the good things I can take from today. I'm pretty sure he's not a completely insane douchebag like 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'. Well, at least now I'm in the comfort of my own home.

Alone.

Dark.

Quiet.

That's what it is. That's what it has been for awhile now. I never understood why my mother does what she does. I mean, she works so much and for good reason, yeah but, when she is home, she's not really home.

I don't know. Maybe, I'm just lonely.

'the sun goes down, the stars come out and all-'

I'm startled as I hear my ringtone, the soft melodious voices from The Wanted play through. Yes, I am a fan of them, I know I'm 'too young' to even know them but, in all fairness I have always been obsessed with everything from 1996 to 2013. I don't know why. I guess everyone has a favourite period in time.

"Bitch, what the hell took you so long to answer!"

The shriek of one of my best friends voice blared through the phone as I switched to speaker.

"Mere, what did I tell about shrieking like a banshee through the phone" it was a rhetorical question obviously. I'd told her constantly but, she's just a naturally loud person.

Personality wise and vocal wise. But, that's Meredith Johnson for you. Her mother was born in Croatia and her father, from Romania. Although, she's clearly of such Southeastern European heritage, she couldn't be anymore American.

"Yeah, yeah I remember but, I'm hungry and bored and you know what happens when I'm hungry and bored, Laine"

Yeah, I know what happens when you're hungry and bored. Those poor children...

I shake my head slightly to rid of those horrid memories. "okay okay, meet you at the spot?" The Spot. It's where basically everyone goes, the gelato, the drinks, the lot. It's owned by this guy from Greece and wowie. I mean, he's hot, yeah but, he's also 23 years old. I don't feel like putting anyone in jail today.

I mean, I'm 18 this year but, he's just not someone I like-like. Gosh, I sound like a kid. Plus, I'm pretty sure Mere would turn my body inside out if anyone ever thought about going there.

Well, there was one person who would...

-

"Lillian Sawyer, that bitch!"

Yes, her. Lillian Sawyer although, she'll tell you to call her Lilly. Not Lia, not Lils, especially not Li since that nickname is reserved for someone else. I've had my fair share of bump-ins with said; Lillian Sawyer.

To say she's a godsend would be fiercely inappropriate and just plain cruel to the heavens above. She's a demon, her death stare will smite you.

Despite all that, my friends and I didn't care, we weren't threatened by her fancy manicure or wrinkle free, expensive clothing.

"How dare she even bat one of those ugly eyes at my Finley" Mere gasps dramatically placing a hand to her chest.

As Lillian slowly runs her fingers over Finley's hand, he smiles and I can feel Mere fuming next to me. "Okay! let's sit and I'll get some drinks" I say as Eleanor leads her to our usual table.

I make my way to the front counter, Finley's attention switches from Lillian to me as I show a tight-lipped smile. I see her grimace, not-so-discreetly and I wonder why as I've never had an altercation or done anything to get on her bad side.

"Hey Ela, how are you?" he asked. Oh yeah, he calls me Ela, Eleanor is Ellie and Meredith is Theá which I'm pretty sure means goddess in Greek...

Mind you, he only calls her that because she insisted.

"Hi Fin, busy day?" I smile placing my loyalty card in the counter.

"Eh, not so much. Surprisingly, it's been quiet and chill" he starts adding fruit to the blenders. Two going at a time. I can see the colours swirling and it could almost hypnotize someone.

"One Hera berry, one Olympian Lemonade and one Adonis special chocolate for Miss Ela" if he smiled anymore I'm afraid it'd do some serious damage...

And not just to his face. I carry the drinks back to our table seeing almost every pair of eyes locked onto the Greek God of an owner. At times I wonder what it's like to have someone wanting you to be the very bane of their existence. To have them giving you those eyes that simply say; I'm here, I want you and only you.

Bleh. I don't think I ever will have that and I've learnt to be okay with it.

"Here you go my lovely ladies" I place the drinks down, "what are we talking about?" I ask as I see Eleanor of with the fairies again.

Mere rolls her eyes and I know this only means one thing: Beckinsale Carter.

Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse. It does. Life's a bitch. I follow Eleanor's gaze to the door as I see the light brown locks of hair bouncing softly as he walks in smiling ear to ear. His head turns to our table and I have the urge to roll my eyes but, I'm no longer going to let him ruin my day. So, I turn back to my friends and take a sip of my drink.

As I'm about to let out a sigh of content, a shadow looms over me and I hear Eleanor gasp softly.

"Hey guys!" he says joyously. I hear Mere say hi and Eleanor seems good with deep breathing so, I guess it's my turn.

"Beckinsale" I nod. This invites a grin to his annoyingly charming face. "Laine, it's good to see you again. How's the cheeks?"

I narrow my eyes at him as I can sense the eyes of my best friends on me, waiting for my response. "Which ones?" I ask as Meredith almost chokes on her Hera Berry smoothie and Eleanor basically cuts of my oxygen by placing her hand over my mouth and laughs in pain.

"Sh-she didn't mean to s-say that, Beck, I'm sorry, she's sorry..." Eleanor mumbles almost incoherently. I keep my eyes on the devil himself and his on me almost challenging.

The silence is deafening as Mere hastily tries cleaning up her split drink. "Nice seeing you girls. Mere," he nods to her, "Leanor, stay sweet" he winks at her as she turns cherry red. He turns to me kissing his teeth with his tongue and says; "Laine, see you later"

At the thought of seeing him later, I shudder and remove Eleanor's hand from my mouth, reaching for breath.

.。*♡✧*。