Chapter 7|Grace Kelly

Sitting across from my mortal enemy at the feast of the century is torture.

Too dramatic? Okay.

Sitting across from Beckinsale Carter isn't my favourite thing in the world. I'm not one for his annoying eye contact. His family on the other hand are quite exceptional people. His father, Darnell Carter, works in the Veterinarian line, he worked with my father until he left abruptly. Mr Carter owns the business.

Mrs Carter is one of the top lawyers in the entire state of California. She's a tough one but, she's also the sweetest person. I mean, her name is proof; Belle Lucia Carter.

Then, there's Beck's siblings; Sloane and Nattie. They're twins and very, very sneaky. They're like John Robie from 'To Catch A Thief'.

I love that film. Grace Kelly is gorgeous.

"Hey, Grace Kelly", my thoughts are interrupted, "psst"

Again.

"Grace Kelly, hello?"

I sigh and slowly meet eyes to the person who dare interrupt my thoughts and why am I not surprised. I narrow my eyes and answer.

"Yes?"

He smirks annoyingly before hiding his smile and says, "how are you?"

I feel my head tilt to the right in question as I look around at everyone else diverged into conversation.

"I'm fine" I say.

He nods slowly and makes a gesture as to say that he'd like an elaboration. Which in turn, earns an eye roll.

"Well, I guess I am okay. Really. I'm not really the person to talk to if you're fishing for a life of exploration and excitement" he continues eating and nods with a small smile, "what about you?"

I face down rolling my food around the plate with my fork as I sense him looking back at me.

"I'm..." he takes a moment before continuing, giving me the chance to look back up, "content within this moment in time"

Hm.

-

Thinking about earlier when Beck had called me Grace Kelly brought back so many memories from childhood. Before all the angsty teen life.

The first time I had seen Grace Kelly in a film I was awestruck.

Every film of hers I saw after deepened my fascination. No, not as in a creepy-stalker-with-a-shrine obsession. Just a little girl admiring her lifetime celebrity inspiration.

It makes me wonder if Beck had remembered all of that or if it was just a random way of getting my attention.

It was also a coincidence that at that exact moment I was thinking about a film with, one, Grace Kelly.

"Elaine, dear, would you mind helping bring in the dishes to the kitchen, please"

Before my mother can even stand, Beck reaches for her plate and says, "I'll help Elaine, Mrs Dearly"

Much to my dismay with a pearly smile my mother bows her head and thanks him.

Not wanting this to drag on longer than it should, I collect what I can carry and march into the kitchen. Placing everything into the sink I turn on the water to rinse. A moment of silence is interrupted once again by, Beckinsale Carter.

"So uh, are you excited?" he says.

With my head still down, focussing on the task at hand I hum in question as he elaborates, "for my- for the party this weekend, you know, my birthday. Are the girls excited?"

"Oh, right. Yeah, they're pretty stoked, I can't get them to shut up about it, actually" I chuckle as I place the dishes in the dishwasher one by one with Beck helping.

"Thanks" I say as I close and switch it on.

"Yeah, of course" he smiles now standing closer than I realised, "it was no problem. Hey, uh I was thinking that ma-"

Just as quickly as the moment came it was ended by my brother's loud voice, "Hey El, mom wants the..." Eris pauses as we jump away from one another, "what's going on?"

"Huh? Nothing, nothing is going on, we're just finishing up. What did you say mom wanted?" I question trying to get away from this situation as I wallow in embarrassment.

He stands in the doorway for a minute as I avoid eye contact with the boy standing a mere foot away from me.

"Mom wanted to know if you would be fine to catch a ride with Beck and I tomorrow to school?"

Oh, for the love of God.

-

So. Not. Ideal.

As I sit in the middle seat of Beck's car, I once again am wallowing but, not in embarrassment this time. No, I am wallowing in despair.

Waiting for this car ride to end.

I woke up this morning almost an hour after my alarm rang and I couldn't find my uniform so, I had to wait for it to re-wash and dry which burnt the living hell outta me. Now, I'm starving on the way to school in golden boy soccer captain's 1985 Chevy pickup.

And the worst part?

Precisely, every three seconds I can feel the fabric of Beck's trousers brush against the skin just above my left knee. I shiver and blame it on the lack of coverage on my legs. Beck laughs and Eris just reminds me of how 'quirky' and 'witty' I am and also that I'm the introvert twin.

"Yes, I do know that I am the introvert of the family, Eris-mommy's-boy" I retort as he wails in dramatic distraught and Beck chokes on his own laugh.

Satisfied with my performance of creating a distraction, I push Eris out of the car as we come to a stop and rush to the benches under the tree where my friends are chatting.

"Hey" I breath out as I collapse into the space between them.

"Hey yourself there Speedy, why were you running like you're trying to escape your captors?" Eleanor exaggerates as she begins fixing my hair.

"Eris, Chevy, Beck, escaped" I snatch the bottle of water from Mere, earning a tsk from her as I pretty much drown myself.

Their eyes widen as they stand in front of me and all I hear is word vomit.

Ew. Vomit.

"What did he say?!"

.。*♡✧*。