Chapter 36|September

As I take one last look in the mirror, fixing my jacket and chewing on my bottom lip, I sigh and take a seat on the edge of my bed.

"Elaine, why are you still here? Your friends and Henry will be searching for you" my mother says as she walks into my room, a tray of, what appears to be cookies in her hand.

She stands a few feet away from the end of my bed and I sigh even more dramatically loud, "mom, I would be lying if I said I actually want to go to this soccer match, I was only going to go because my friends asked and so I can see Henry before he leaves"

"Well then what is it that you are waiting for? It isn't going to be hours, knowing you, you would not be able to sit that long"

I roll my eyes as I sit up, crossing my legs and leaning on my hands,  "it's literally over an hour, mom"

She sighs, "oh to be young again, you're going to that game, Elaine Malia Dearly" she begins to walk away and as she's descending the stairs I hear her continue, "I don't hear you leaving, I'll drag you myself" she says in a weird sing-song voice.

"Alright, alright I'm going, gosh"

I pick up my bag and keys making my way through to the kitchen to stealthy take a cookie and leave.

"Hey! Elaine, those were for later"

"Sorry mom, gotta bounce"

Once I'm out and in and I'm in the safety of my car, I buckle up and start the car. I take this moment to breath through my anxiety and stress of big crowds, I'm off to the very, very much awaited, Everdear Lynx High's event of the year, a soccer match. What has become of my life?

As I reach a red light, I connect my phone to the auxiliary input on the radio and press the call button on Eleanor's contact, waiting for her to answer and when she does...

Boy, did I regret not turning down the volume.

"El! Where are you?" she yells.

"I- I'm almost there, I left home about ten minutes ago"

"What?! El, you better get all greens ahead if you're gonna make it, we're all being seated soon, hurry please"

I sigh, "okay okay, I'll try but, if I don't make it in time, save me a seat?"

"Of course, see you soon, mwah"

"Mwah"

Well, if I am not going to make it in time, at least, I have my music.

And there is only one song in particular, in the entire universe that can ease my suffocation and social anxiety.

As I press play and I hear the fade in of the intro music, I can already feel myself loosening up, there's just something about this song.

"Oh, here we goooo!"

'Do you remember, the twenty-first night of September
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away...

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls -'

September by Earth, Wind And Fire.

Maybe it is the fact that whenever my family would go somewhere, my mother would play this song basically on repeat and it never got old.

It is the kind of song everyone has got to play at least once or twice a day, regardless of how you are feeling because there is just something about it that takes all of your worries away. It makes you dance and smile and sing like a complete maniac at the top of your lungs.