Chapter 17|Beaches

Usually, I'm all for the beach.

Usually, I'm always the first out of the car and into the water.

Usually, now all I can do is sit and watch everyone having fun while I'm sat, thinking about the letter I had seen after my mother had dispersed off to bed.

Father...

That's the only word that had caught my attention. I guess my thoughts go straight to the fact that I don't have one. I don't remember him.

I do wonder though, does he know what Eris and I look like, does he ever think about us, has he ever been in contact with my mother. I don't believe he's dead like everyone says. The stories are quite, utterly ridiculous. Anyone would understand if they'd heard it all.

"Hey, Laine"

"Oh, hey Beck"

He walks toward me on the beach as he reaches for a towel with a smile, "what are you doing up here all alone?"

I shrug and reply, "I don't know, I guess giving everyone space"

He takes a seat in front of me and reaches for the cooler. He sighs lightly and takes a drink as well as a slice of watermelon.

"How's your second date?" I ask out of pure awkwardness as I adjust myself on the beach chair.

Beck chuckles at this as he places his drink down and faces me, "it's going good although, I didn't know this was a date, Laine" he smirks as I raise an eyebrow in question, "you could have let me know in advance, I would've worn my best board shorts for you"

I roll my eyes and tsk as I push away his shoulder and chuckle a little.

"You're ridiculous, Beckinsale Carter, I meant with Eleanor, douche"

He smiles and I return it as he sighs and clears his throat, "it's going really well actually, maybe a little too well, I don't know" he says as he turns his head towards the water and squints as if he's deep in thought.

I wonder what he means by that exactly but, I also have a lot on my mind and it slightly overpowers whatever inner turmoil Beck has.

We sit in silence a moment as I feel the cool ocean breeze rushing carelessly over my skin. I feel goosebumps as I run my hands over my arms and my cheeks tingle from the temperature.

I close my eyes as I rest my head on my hands and I feel a hand tugging on my ankle. I open my eyes to see Beck holding a blanket with one hand and the other still around my ankle.

He reaches the blanket closer to me, "you look like a little kitten shivering up there"

"Oh uh, are you sure you don't need it? Maybe you should see if Eleanor needs it" I mumble as I gasp lightly shivering more.

He shakes his head as he points to Eleanor and Mere sitting with a blanket around them as they watch the rest of our friends play with the soccer ball.

"I think they've got it covered, Laine, take it, I'm serious"

I gulp as I stare at him a moment before he stands with a groan and places the blanket around my shoulders and kneels in front of me to wrap my hands around the ends.

"Thanks" I mumble as he smiles.

"Beck! Come here!" Eleanor shouts as Mere stands to join in the fun.

He looks to me as he sucks in his bottom lip and says, "well, I guess duty calls"

And he's off as he sits next to Eleanor with an arm around her shoulders and she leans her head on his.

How bittersweet.

-

I've seen this movie a million times. Not because I like it but because Meredith and Eleanor like it. If I'm being honest, it bores me.

We had all gotten tired of the beach plus, it was getting kinda cold so, we decided to pack up and make our way back up to Beck's family beach house.

Speaking of beaches, the movie we were currently watching was in fact, Beaches.

Beaches.

No hate toward Bette or anyone else in it.

Wait, is it Bette or maybe it's Barbara. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm seated on the single couch in the theatre room while everyone else is spread out although, as expected Beck and Eleanor are seated together.

On the chair next to mine.

Torture.

Unfortunately, Henry couldn't make it today. That sucked.

In all honesty, I have no clue where I stand with him. We've only spoken a few times in person and I mean, yeah we text a lot but, I'm not sure if it's going anywhere.

We have a few classes together and all but, nothing serious has ever happened.

I hate to say it but, Beckinsale dingus Carter shows me more attention.

Ugh.

He gets on my nerves though.

"I need a snack, I'll be back" I say as I stand, walking out of the room with a few hums in response.

I walk through the hall as I feel the sudden urge to pee. Turning around I head to the downstairs bathroom. With my luck, there's no toilet paper.

"Great" I mumble as I head upstairs and open the bathroom door next to Beck's room.

I only know it's his room because it's the only one with a soccer ball door handle.

"So typical" I say with a roll of my eyes.

I finish my business as I head out and close the door, I make my way down the hall before I turn and bump into someone.

"Oh, Mere hey, what's up?"

She smiles as she replies, "hey, I need the bathroom again, dang soda always does this to me"

I laugh as we pass one another and before I can step down she calls out, "hey Elaine, I just wanted to make sure that there's no reason to worry"

I frown, "worry? Worry about what?"

She sighs looking down, "about you and whatever is going on with Beck"

I'm sorry.

What?!

"Why would you think something is going on with Beck?" I question, genuinely curious as to why she would ever think something is going on.

Mere leans against the bathroom door and looks directly at me, "I see the way you look at him and I see the way he is with you, Elaine, if nothing is going on then good because I won't let you ruin this for Eleanor"

"She's my best friend, Mere, I always want her to have the best of whatever it is that she wants" I take a step towards her as I cross my arms over my chest, "and I've known and lived next to Beck my whole life, he's friends with my brother and our families have known each other forever"

I take a breath as she closes the door stepping closer, "sorry if that's all new to you but, don't accuse me of something you know nothing about" I say as I stand my ground.

I'm hurt by her attitude and accusations but, I also am not surprised. She's always been loud.

"If that's true then we have nothing to worry about, Elaine" she spits out as she barges past me and back downstairs.

I sigh as I hear another pair of footsteps around the corner but, ignore it.

Darn, beaches.

.。*♡✧*。