Chapter 31|Why Don't You Have Shoes On?

"Elaine, you're not allowed in there, you're not on the homecoming committee"

"I don't care, Iris" I say as I speed walk right into the school gym with an angsty meadow fairy on my tail, her words not mine, "I need to talk to Eleanor and Meredith"

As the doors slam behind her, I'm able to look around, seeking out my two best friends whom have been planning and looking forward to homecoming since we finished the last one.

As soon as I spot them, my hand is grabbed from behind, "Mere, Eleanor!"

"Elaine, I'm serious, you can't be in here, Mx Lowes will literally kill you for storming in here and then kill me for letting you" Iris pants as she points between us with a flustered face.

"Come on, please? It's urgent" I beg as I look back to see Mere with a paintbrush in her hand and Eleanor as expected with a clipboard, walking around as she monitors everything.

Or everyone.

I see Bridger and his girlfriend by what seems to be a fountain as they act oh so, sickly sweet to one another.

Sigh.

"Elaine!"

"Sorry, what?"

Iris sighs yet again as she facepalms, "I said; fine but, five minutes tops and if Lowes catches you, I had nothing to do with it"

I hold my hands up in defence with a grateful smile as she backs away, rolling her eyes, "thank you!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever"

As soon as she's out, I begin to make my way over to the girls and stand in front of them, "Mere, Eleanor, I have news"

They gasp as they pull me over to the bleachers to sit.

"Spill"

"Okay so, you know how Mrs Forrester said that she'd cater for the dance and also how she'd be leaving for a family trip a few hours after she delivers the food?"

They nod in anticipation.

"Well, I assumed that Henry was staying because he had been talking a lot about the dance after the game and such for some odd reason but, turns out that he too will not be here for the dance which also means that..."

"You won't be going to the dance because you're going with Henry and his family?" Eleanor questions with the tilt of her head and the squint if her eyes.

"No, I'm not going with Henry but, I also am not going to the dance, it all has worked out rather perfectly" I say with excitement and Mere begins to swiftly shake her head as she take my arms into her grip with her face mere inches away from my own.

"There is no way in hell or heaven or earth that I would let you miss out on this dance Elaine" she demands, "I will do everything in my power to get you out of your bed and stinky pyjamas and into something fitting for this formal occasion"

I roll my eyes at her bossiness.

"I don't stink but, I can't go, I don't even have a date, mine is going away, across the world... long dramatic sigh"

"He's going to San Francisco" Mere deadpanned.

"Well, yeah but, still, you're going with Lillian and Eleanor is obviously going with Beckinsale so, I don't really exactly feel like fifth wheeling, sorry" I say, "nothing personal but, totally one hundred percent, personal"

A loud bang erupts across the four walls of the gym and as the three if us turn to observe we see that the class president, Lenny had dropped a box of decorations.