Chapter 14|Swoon In The Most Cliche Of Ways

"Here, wear this" Mere says as she throws a lump of dark material at me.

"What is this?" I ask as I hold it out in front of me to see that it's a large sweatshirt, "why am I wearing this?"

"Because we're observing them from afar, El" she explains as she fixes her hair, putting on some shades, "Eleanor and Beck's first date is a major milestone for us and I don't want them to catch us and we ruin it"

I tilt my head to the side as I furrow my brows wondering why and how in the world she figures this is a good idea.

"Don't you think that by wearing dark clothing in a roller rink will get us caught anyway?" I ask rhetorically.

"Oh no, El don't be silly girlfriend, we've got this" she asserts as she gets out of the car making her way to the door.

-

As we sit, I look around and notice that there's usually so many people here but, tonight it's not as packed.

Probably because Wednesday is mid week and well, who wants to go out mid week, right?

"This is ridiculous, Mere, you know that" I mumble as I sip my Slurpee with the hood of the sweatshirt over my head.

She hushes me, taking out a small pair of binoculars and now I'm won where she even got those from.

Although, I don't wanna know.

"Are you kidding? What is this, the Dustin and Steve show?" I say as take hold of the binoculars, placing them on the table.

She tsks and steals my Slurpee, finishing it.

As we hear the familiar laugh of Eleanor, Mere proceeds to wack my shoulder multiple times as if I can't see them with my own eyes.

"I- yeah, I know I know, I can see"

I place her hand down and she's already fixated on the pair.

As I watch on, I take note of how my best friend seems so happy with Beck...

And how happy he seems with her.

I guess, I never realised that the doofus could actually be good for her despite being an ass, of course.

I see the way she looks at him and I can't help feeling the slightest tilt to my lips. This is all she's ever wanted.

Eleanor has only ever been pining over Beckinsale Carter for a millenium.

Well, not really a millenium but, around the ballpark.

"We have to get closer to them, come on, El" Mere whispers as se takes hold of my hand and we stand making our way to the row of benches behind the side of the rink.

She parts the plant seperating us and the rink as she once again searches for them.

"There" I say a little too loud as I spot them and Mere closes the leaves as we duck for cover, "Oops?"

She rolls her eyes and whispers something but, I can't understand, nor, hear whatever the hell she's saying, "what? I literally cannot hear you, Mere"

"I said; be quiet, El gosh you know we could have gotten caught, gosh"

I mockingly gasp, "oh god forbid we get caught spying on our best friend's roller rink date with the doofus, Beck"

"Haha you are so funny, sometimes" she rolls her eyes with a slight smile, "for real though"

"I mean, the sooner we get caught, the sooner I can go home and change out of this death trap of an outfit" I shift in my seat as I fix my bra strap under this hoodie.

"You alright there, Laine?"

"Yeah, I'm alri-" I freeze next to Mere as her eyes are as wide as mine.

We face one another slowly as we turn to the voice of Beck. Standing behind us, Eleanor has her hand on his arm as he learns over the half wall seperating us from the rink.

"Hi, girls, having fun?" Eleanor asks mockingly with a smile.

Beck chuckles in amusement and I fight the urge to roll my eyes, "so, what are you guys doing here?"

I go to speak but, Mere places her hand over my mouth as she says, "ohhh well, you see, we had gotten quite bored at my house and so, we thought; why not get some food?"

Beck and Eleanor look to one another, clearly not convinced.

Beck leans down with a mischievous look and a glint in his eyes, "sooo, you weren't spying on us?"

Mere and I look at one another for a minute as we turn back and shake our heads, no. Beck nods as Eleanor chuckles, hugging closer to Beck's arm.

"Okay, fine we were onlookers to your... rendezvous but, we actually are hungry so, let's go eat" I say as I stand walking backwards, "Mere"

"El, look out, behind..." Eleanor shouts as I bump into someone and they drop a tray of what I assume I dirty dishes, "...you"

I bend down and start to gather the dishes as I continuously apologize.

"Elaine?" the worker says as they take hold of my hand lightly, I look up to face them and realise who it is, "what are you doing here?"

"Henry, hi. You work here?"

We stand as I hand him the plates and he stacks them on the tray, "uh yeah, I started a few weeks ago actually, I'm surprised to see you, what's up?"

I avoid looking at anyone but, Henry as I answer, "ummm, oh you know, Mere and I were hungry and so, we thought we'd come here for dinner or something "

He nods, "ahh, I see I see and those two?" he asks as he looks towards Beck and Eleanor.

I reluctantly look back to them as Eleanor smiles sweetly and Beck, the ass, smirks annoyingly placing his arm around her shoulders.

"They're hanging out"

"On a date"

Henry, Mere and Eleanor look at us in confusion as Beck and I answer at the same time.

Oy Vey.

"I see, again" Henry smiles, "well, I should probably get back to work, Eleanor and Beck, you two have fun"

Beck does that weird head nod thing boys do as Eleanor smiles and thanks him.

"Meredith, always nice to see you"

"Nice seeing you too, Henry" she says with what I assume is an awkward smile.

I fidget with he string of the hoodie I'm still wearing as Henry turns to me and Mere suddenly starts leading Beck and Eleanor away. I silently thank her. She smiles back warmly.

"Elaine Dearly, you are quite something" he chuckles and looks down for a moment.

"Is that a good thing?" I ask, nervously.

I mean, there's this gorgeous guy standing in front of me, actually paying me some mind and all the while being kind. How can I not swoon in the most cliche of ways.

.。*♡✧*。