Chapter 39|Weak In The Knees

"I'm sorry, what?"

I blink. Once then twice.

Did I hear that correctly or did Beckinsale Carter just admit that he more than likes me?

What universe have I been teleported to? Because right now, I am so fucking confused.

"I'm sorry, correct me if I am wrong but, you just said that you like me?" I cringe in confusion, "why?"

Beck begins to speak but, before he is able to, I interrupt, "actually don't answer that"

"Okay" he mumbles, awkwardly.

"Why are you only just telling me this now? When I'm in a perfectly good relationship"

"Perfectly good? Is that what it is?"

"Yes" I squint my eyes at him as he begins to slowly pace with his hands in his pant pockets being extra sarcastic.

Or so it seems.

To me anyway.

"Believe me, I wish I had told you way sooner but, I guess it just became too late and maybe I should have just kept it to myself and buried these feelings but..." he stops before he can blurt out anything else.

"But, what? What were you going to say?" I question.

"Try being absolutely, head over heels, in love with you, Laine"

I take a deep breath as I try to gather my thoughts placing my head in my hands, leaning over my thighs.

"Why me though? You don't even realise but, you could have any girl willing enough to give herself to you" I furrow my eyebrows as I respond, "so, why me?"

He steps forward just enough to be a breath away from any kind of skin on skin contact and I simply can't help the way my body reacts although, right now I wish it would.

My heart beat fastens as I can hear it beating through my eardrums and my palms become gross and sweaty all the while my knees feel awfully weak.

And I sigh.

"Simple yet, so complicated. It's because you are you and so unapologetically. You're never afraid of who you are and the things you do that always drive me completely insane... I just can't help it" Beck expresses as he places his hands on the brick wall of either side of me and instead of moving in fear of making one wrong movement.

I gulp.

And he sees it.

"Nervous?" he asks softly.

I nod my head in response, "incredibly so"

I sigh deeply just as I begin to feel the heat emanating from his lips and I can see the subtle glow from within his cheeks.

I place my hand to his chest in hesitation as he leans in slightly, "Beck, you know I can't"

"I know"

"I'm sorry"

He sighs against my lips as I feel a slight tingle and wonder how the hell I can get myself out of this situation. I don't understand anything at all, at this point in time.

Everything feels surreal.

And like an optical illusion.

"I don't know exactly what I was expecting, to be honest, I just felt like I needed to tell you" he mumbles as he slowly begins to back away with his eyes closed.

"I'm with Henry and we're going amazing, you have gotten out of a relationship with Eleanor, with my best friend and I don't think sh-"

"It was fake" a new voice enters the chat and I'm confused as to how long she's been standing there and what the hell she means exactly.