Chapter 6|You Remember The Carter's

After shopping yesterday, I'm so insanely tired.

Shopping takes so much of my energy and people are annoying whenever I go out and ugh.

I guess at least I got a new outfit and it's one I could wear anytime so, that's a bonus.

"Hello Elaine," my mother is home, probably only because Eris is back, "how has your day been?"

I feel Eris has always been her favourite.

"Uhh, yeah it's been cool I guess. I got a new record player because the old one burnt out and then I had to take Mere to the surf-"

"Has your brother called you at all, Elaine?" she cuts me off and I know if I say something about it, it won't end well.

I shake my head in response as she continues cutting vegetables, "No, he hasn't said anything to me"

It's true, he hasn't. The conversation by my door the other day wasn't much to go on. He was kinda, I don't know, ominous? But, it's whatever. He's had his seperate life at boarding school while I was here. I think if I had gone to boarding school also, my mother would appreciate me more.

She hums in response and I'm left with a dead silence almost as sharp as the knife she's using to cut the food.

As I make my way to my room I hear a faint sound and a light tap. I pause in my steps but, hear nothing so, I continue into my room.

Psst...

Again.

I'm hearing things. Brushing it off, I take a seat on my bed and hear a deep intake of breath from underneath and I jump to my feet.

"Elaine..." by the sounds of it, I could have trampled them if I had jumped onto the bed instead of sitting.

I close my door softly and race back to my bed pulling the blanket up and to my surprise I see my brother gasping for air.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

He sticks out a hand, I take it as he replies, "I was hiding until your giant ass sat down and I almost died"

I release his hand and it makes a loud thump as it hits the ground. A knock at my door startles us both and he signals but, I can't make out what he's trying to say.

"What is?" I mimic his movements, "I don't know what the hell that means"

"Just answer the goddamn door and shoo her away" he says.

Another knock at the door as I pull down my blanket to cover Eris and open the door. Not surprised to see my mother as she looks past me and into my room.

"Mom?"

She mumbles her usual, "hi, Elaine" as she enters. I furrow my brows wondering what on Earth is going on.

"Uhhh, mom? What's goin'on?" I follow closely, my sole focus in making sure she doesn't look under the bed.

"I just thought I'd check up on you, seeing as your brother will be here in a few hours and I've got some time to spare" still not looking at me as she takes in what my room actually looks like, "I figured, why not spend some time with my lovely daughter"

If it weren't for the fact that Eris was under the bed and I have other things on my mind, I'd have scoffed.

Instead, I take a deep breath.

"Um, I'm sorry Mom but, I have a shi-" I correct myself, "a ton of homework to do and I was thinking that I could study before Eris gets here so, my full attention is on the dinner"

She stares at me for a moment and out of nowhere she gasps looking at my bed. Just when I think he's been caught out, she reaches for the blanket, fixing the corners.

"What have I taught you children?"

"Nothing" I mumble thinking she couldn't hear me.

She clears her throat, "Right well, I better get back to preparing food" she puts on her kilowatt smile and exits, "don't study too hard, Elaine"

-

As I sit at the dinner table, I realise how miserable it's been. I've never had that real family bond and I wish I did.

Especially, at times like this.

Can I say that I've missed it even if I've never had it?

No, you're right. That'd be silly.

"What time did he say he'd be here at, exactly?" I ask twirling the fork layed out for me.

"He'll be here soon, Elaine. Set down the fork, please" she says sitting as if she had a string holding her up.

The doorbell rings as my mother smiles wide standing from her seat to get the door.

I'm reminded of the eventful afternoon I've had; after my mother had exited my room, Eris swiftly got out from under the bed breathing hard.

He collapsed on the beanbag chair I had set up in the corner and eventually fell asleep, as I roll my eyes I decided to study afterall. That was short lived because next thing I know, Beckinsale Carter was throwing pebbles at my balcony door.

At first, I ignored him because well, he's Beckinsale Carter. Then my brother woke up and decided to sit on my balcony talking to him for who knows how long. I don't get why they're friends. After freshman year, Beck turned into a major ass, even more so than he previously was.

Anywho, coming back to present time, my mother walks into the dining room holding onto his arm for dear life.

I narrow my eyes as he sees me.

As they near the table, she sets his backs aside and says, "Elaine dear, stand up and welcome your brother back home"

Doing as I'm told, I stand and pull my brother into a tight hug, "you owe me so much, Eris Dearly"

I pull away smiling and my mother says, "Eris, you remember the Carter's from next door, right?"

.。*♡✧*。