Chapter 27|Don't Go Chasin'

"You're so lucky, Mere" I pout as dig through the sand, "I wish I didn't have to do this whole Debutante bullshi-"

"Hush, Ela!" Eleanor says as she looks around the beach from where we're seated.

I raise a brow as I share a look with Meredith, "what?"

"There are children around and to be honest, they do not need to be going home calling their parents..." she leans in as if to say something but, she doesn't say it.

She can't.

"Say what, Leanor?"

"Yeah, what will they be calling their parents?"

Meredith leans into her as I attempt to hide my smirk, "I ,for one, have absolutely no idea what it is that you're trying to tell us, girl"

Eleanor rolls her eyes as she cups her mouth, "ass" she mouths but, soundlessly.

"Huh?"

"Ass! They will all be stomping around the house calling their parents asses" she straightens up as she crosses her arms, "you guys are such bullies, gosh"

Mere and I chuckle at how cute our best friend is as she places her book back into her tote bag and stands up.

"Where are you going?" Meredith asks as Eleanor makes her way towards the water.

"To swim, aren't you guys coming in too or are you just gonna sit up there and waste this beautiful day?" she says loud and confident with a shrug.

She takes another step backwards and before we have the time to warn her, she trips over a towel and falls backwards toward a group of guys laying out.

One guy manages to move forward within the speed of light breaks the fall before she lands on his friend. Mere and I share a look before we're off to see if she's okay. When we reach her the guy is helping her get to a steady stance. She looks incredibly flushed as they share an intense amount of eye contact.

"Ahem" Meredith coughs to gain back Eleanor's attention and thankfully it works because she manages to unravel herself from the strangers grasp with eyes wide.

What the hell was that?

What about Beck?

Eleanor lets out a quick thanks as steps into the water holding off on answering any and all of Meredith's questions.

"Eleanor? What the hell was that? Did you forget about your perfectly fine boyfriend?!"

"Mere just leave it" I say as Eleanor once again looks quite sullen, out of it.

"What? No, she has a boyfriend and now she's just eye flirting with the first guy who is at her aid?"

"I don't think that's what is was, I think she was just shocked by the actions and the break of the fall" I reply with a eye roll at her unbelievable antics and accusations, "you're being quite dramatic, Mere"

Meredith looks in shock at me as the words roll off of my tongue, she looks kinda somewhat, salty.

No pun intended.

But, totally intended.

"How can you say that when you saw exactly what I did?" she expresses, "and I'm not being dramatic, Ela, please"

I give up with our discussion and walk further out towards Eleanor, I feel the sand beneath the water engulfing my feet and the water splashes against my legs.

I reach her, placing a hand of comfort on her left shoulder and she looks faces me with a smile.

"The water's quite nice today, huh?" she asks.

I nod in response, "yeah, actually I'm surprised usually it's either too cold or too warm"

We decide to kneel down so that the water reaches just above our chest and we sit in complete silence, enjoying the moment of pure sunshine.

"So..." I start off as she turns to wait for me to continue, "how's it going with Beck? I actually kind of almost enjoyed lunch with the two of gate crashing Henry and I's date"

We laugh as she lightly splashes at me.

"Hm yeah, I did quite kind of almost enjoy it too. Henry is good for you, he's like the sunshine that peaks through on your darkest days" she says as she runs her fingers through the ocean.

I smile as she continues, "as for Beck and I, we're doing really good, it's been good"

I furrow my eyebrows as I look at her with a whole lot of confusion as to her very short and suspicious answer.

"Just good?"

She hums and just as I'm about to ask more, Meredith appears within our sights.

"Hey"

"Hi"

"Look, I'm sorry for what just happened, I really am but, I think it's just that after what's happened between my parents and Lillian and I, I didn't want anything to potentially ruin what you have with Beck" Mere explains with an expression of exhaust.

Eleanor sighs as she leans across to give her hug, "it's okay, I know you're intentions are always from the heart, thank you"

"Even if I do in fact agree with Ela that Beck really is a complete doofus"

Eleanor snorts as we share a laugh and they begin to splash the water upon one another.

"Children" I say with the roll of my eyes.

Wow, I do that too much.

My poor eyeballs.

I shrug just as I'm suddenly drowned in a huge amount of ocean water, "what in the- wow, you're both so kind"

"Love you, Ela"

"Yeah yeah, love you too"

-

After a fair amount of time spent in the water we decided to rest under the big blue and purple umbrella, Mere had purchased on the way here.

As she and Eleanor lay along the sand on their towels, I chose to take the fold out beach chair. Comfort. What can I say?

"Mm here Ela, have one" Eleanor says as she hands my a bulky slice of watermelon.

It's love at first bite.

As expected.

I moan in bliss as it crumbles apart on my tongue and Mere snorts of laughter.

"Oh, that's good, gimme more" I say as I place the skin onto the cooler next to me.

"Uh manners, El?" she rolls her eyes, handing me another, "Gosh"

"Thanks" I mumble as she cringes watching me eat.

"You're so gross, Elaine"

"Eww" Eleanor laughs, "well, not as bad as you Mere"

They poke their tongues out at one another as we continue eating, enjoying the beginning of the sunset.

"Hey Eleanor, did you tell Mere here about you and Henry's waterfall plans?" I ask.

She perks up, "Oh! I forgot but, Henry and I were talking about planning a trip for all of us to visit and go explore some waterfalls or something during the next break, maybe the one after that, not sure"

"Waterfalls?" Mere asks, rhetorically, "have you learnt nothing from TLC?"

What is she going on about?

"What now?"

"Don't go chasin'"

.。*♡✧*。