Chapter 29|Intentions

"So, you're sure that everything between you guys are okay?"

"Yes El, I promise you it's all fine, perfectly" Eleanor says through the phone as I pace by my window at five o'clock in the evening.

"Well, okay" I mumble, "I'll believe you for now, I guess"

She chuckles as I can picture her running her hand through her hair like she always does whenever she's on the phone.

I guess it's her coping mechanism for her anxiety. Like me, Eleanor has social anxiety, that includes over the phone.

I guess that's why we understand each other and right now I can clearly see through her tone and obvious lies but, it's okay because it'll come to light soon enough.

"Okay, now go eat, you should be with your family"

"Ugh, family. Family is so much drama, more so than high school, it's exhausting, seriously" I stress as I adopt her hand through the hair strategy, "I'm glad Zander is part of our life now but, the whole father thing isn't really a favourite of mine "

I take a seat on the window seat looking out over the street as kids play among themselves, laughing and some being called in for dinner. The sun is still halfway shining through the trees and the prettiest colours cascade across the sky.

Eleanor sighs softly as she works up a reply, "I know, parents are completely complicated but, I feel like maybe it wouldn't hurt to at least get to know him and maybe even find out why he left in the first place?"

"Hm yeah, maybe" I fumble with the tassles on the cushions as I say, "I just have a feeling that his intentions for being here, turning up unannounced, aren't good or clear for that matter"

"Maybe that's something that you can find out too, Ela"

"Yeah well, okay I'll see you at school tomorrow"

As I hang up and toss my phone down in front of me, I receive a text from a new number that reads:

Don't push any further or you'll regret it. ;P

"What?"

Before I can reply there's a series of knocks at my door.

"Uh yeah, come in!" I exclaim as I fix my posture, turning off my phone.

The door creaks open as I see someone's hand reach around to grip the door.

"Hey Ela, your mom wants us down in the dining room now"

It's Zander.

Thank god.

I thought I was being stalked and the weirdo had broken in.

Thankfully, that is not the case here.

"Oh, Zander hi, okay let's go" I sigh in relief as I make my way towards him.

He notices and asks, "you okay, El? You look a little paler than usual"

I shove his shoulder as I exit my room, making our way downstairs, "ha ha, you're so fucking funny"

"Oh yeah, tell me something I don't know" he says as he begins to mock Selena Gomez viral song.

I'm pretty sure it's from that one movie; Another Cinderella Story or something.

As we enter through the archway and into the dining room, I can see Eris helping mom set the table and he looks up toward us with a cheeky smile, "oh go Cindy and the ugly as fuck stepsister El"

"Funny because that actually makes you the other fugly step sister Eri-tating" I say with a sarcastic smile as I pull out my chair.

My mother scolds us while she's taking her seat with a roll of the eyes, "stop using those vulgar terms, you pair of shits"

We gasp, "Mom!"

Zander and I laugh along with her as Eris takes a hand to his cold heart and says, "how dare you speak so vulgar towards your children, we have feelings, mother dear"

"Oh, you do? I hadn't noticed under all that testosterone, son" she claps back and to say we're surprised as ever would be an a complete understatement.

My mother has never joked around with us, the last time was when we were 7 and we had gone on a trip to Fiji.

I really did miss my mother. It actually makes me realise how much of her I resemble.

Not just her physical appearance because for some odd and unfortunate reason I had to look like my dead beat father but, my mother's attitude and character, I reflect so perfectly but also so differently in my own way.

"That was murderous, mom"

Our heads swiftly turn towards Zander as the word slips from his mouth and we're just as surprised as he is. Although, I believe the shock my mother is in right now beats anything.

"Oh, sorry I didn't mean to just say that or make anyone uncomfortable, I don't know why I said it" he babbles on in awkwardness as he fumbles with his cutlery and clears his throat.

With the turn of events, my mother opts for a heart-warming, comforting smile as she looks across the table to Zander, "it's okay, sweetheart, you are more than welcome to refer to me as mom, as long as you're comfortable"

Zander returns the smile as he nods firmly and says, "thank you, I appreciate it"

"Of course"

"You're family, Zan" Eris adds right before the doorbell out front chimes.

"That will be your father, I'll get it, you kids stay put and be respectful" mom says as she stands, making her way of the dining room and towards the front door.

We hear distant chatter as they both near and I can smell the scent of cinnamon as I see a tray of peach cobbler in my father hand. He smiles softly and greets us, "hey kids, uh I bought some peach cobbler over, I hope everyone has the appetite for it"

In all honesty, it isn't my favourite but, I don't say that. I smile and wave.

"Hey" Zander greets as he turns back to face the table.

My mother purses her lips as she takes the dessert from her long lost lovers hands and walks around to her end of the table, "well, let's eat shall we, thank you for this, it looks delicious"

She heads for the kitchen to set the dessert aside, I assume and returns with two separate jugs of lemonade and water. As my mother takes a seat, we dig in. The boys as mongrel as they usually are, place bigger scoops of food onto their plates not hesitating to wait for anyone else.

"Pigs" I roll my eyes with a snide expression as I take whatever looks good.

"That's offensive to pigs, Ela, rude" Eris says with his mouth full of seasoned mashed potatoes.

I cringe as my mother slaps his hand, "don't eat with your mouth full, Eris and elbows off the table, thank you"

"Is dinner time usually so..." my father looks around at us, thinking carefully of his next choice of words, "energetic?"

My mother nods and before she can speak, I interrupt, "yes, always it's what happens when you live in a house with children" I narrow my eyes at Eris as he rolls his eyes continuing to eat.

Zander snorts watching our interactions.

"What are you laughing at?"

"You. Children" he smirks, cutting into his steak.

My mother mumbles something incoherently under her breath and begins conversing with the man at the other end of the table. The stranger. The betrayer.

At first, conversation starts light and easy and cheerful even.

That is until Eris begins his interrogation.

"So, why are you in town?"

.。*♡✧*。