Chapter 37|Having Fun Under The Florescent Lights

"You look absolutely beautiful, Elaine"

"Thank you" I say as I peer at myself through the mirror.

"No snarky comeback? No complaints?" my mother asks as her face twists to an expression of confusion, "are you okay?"

I chuckle as I smooth out my dress, "yeah, I'm okay mom just excited"

"You are?"

I nod with a hum in response and she smiles.

The doorbell rings throughout the house and my mother gasps, "that will be your friends, I'll go let them in"

"Thanks mom"

I run my hands down the blue satin qipao dress that my mother's great auntie had made for me, especially for this occasion. Despite, me only just making up my mind to attend this formal event.

Feeling each grove of the tiny, silver flower detailed buttons along with the white outline of the dragon over my hip that shimmers beneath the light and all the way down to the slit leading from my mid thigh to just above my ankles.

"Oh"

"My gosh"

"Elaine!?"

I hear the awestruck voices of my friends as I turn swiftly to meet their gazes.

"Hi, guys ready to go?" I ask as I place an extra bobby pin with a diamante end into my ripple of a bun.

"Uh, girl hold the phone, what have you done with Elaine Dearly?" Eleanor expresses with excitement as she walks over toward me, turning me into the mirror with her glove clad hands on my shoulders.

I peer at my dress once through the reflection before I quickly snap out of it and turn back to face them.

"Um, excuse me? Hello, look at the three of you, Mere and Lillian look absolutely killer together and independently, of course" I cheer as I give their individual styles a once over.

Mere wears a nineties inspired, burgundy thin strapped, waist fitting gown with a high thigh slit, all tied together with a protective hairstyle.

All the while, Lillian opted for a more sparkly approach with a matching silver pant and tube top combo. Total Euphoria vibes. Nothing less than awestruck.

"Obviously, girl" Mere winks as she flips her hair.

"And Eleanor" I smile, "you got the dress and you look like an absolute Princess, a Queen even"

The dress in which Eleanor was currently wearing had been on her shopping list for months on end, leading up to the homecoming dance, she'd continuously walk past Mai & Rain's Boutique store as it had been in the front window non-stop. It fit her perfectly.

Colour? Lilac. Fit? A line with thin straps and a diamond detailed mesh top. Skirt? Long and gathered.

It's simply meant for a Queen such as Eleanor.

"I mean, Queen works, yeah" she chuckles.

"Okay, what's everyone's pronouns, please so, I don't refer to your group as girls when I want your attention" and there's my mom.

She sure knows how to make an entrance.

"Uh, I think we're all fine with girls?"

We each nod in agreement as we gather into a bunch as we exit my room.

"Alright, great, girls it is picture time! Gather at the bottom of the staircase so, I can work out some poses" my mother screeches orders as we descend.