Chapter 24: Love and Warmth

The Doctor dabbed at Wanda's face with a cloth soaked in a medical solution to heal the cuts. She winced as the liquid stung when closing up the larger cuts. He gave a sympathetic look, continuing away at her face and hands.

"You know, I could do this myself," she mumbled. He just shushed her. She sighed, relaxing into the chair of the medical bay. "I'm sorry I keep getting injured. I'm just really accident-prone. Shelly used to tease me about it all the time. Said how I could trip on air."

"You do seem to run into trouble," he joked, chuckling some.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I know. I ran into you, didn't I?" She giggled at his pout.

He sat down the cloth, smiling that all the cuts were now healed. "There. All better."

He lifted up a mirror for her to see her face. All cuts completely erased. She smiled, happy that he had cared enough to help heal her. Really, she was not bothered by whether or not she looked a little scratched up. The cuts or bruises gave her face some character, telling of the adventures she had been on. Besides, they would just heal in the end anyway.

They walked down the corridors, going back to the control room where Rose waited for them. The Doctor chuckled slightly while they walked.

"What?" Wanda questioned him, wondering what was so funny.

"You've been teasing me," he replied. He grinned largely at her. "Normally, only your other incarnations do that."

"I'm sorry. I hope I didn't make you mad with the teasing," she said quickly, hoping he was not annoyed with her. She had just become so used to being with Eleven for so long. They had gotten into the habit of teasing each other back and forth. River had been the main influence, encouraging Wanda to join in teasing the Doctor. The two females had sort of bonded even closer than before in joking around together.

"Not at all. I find it funny that you're so relaxed enough to joke around now. You've come a long way from the shy girl I once knew," Ten said happily. She smiled with pride to that, realizing he was right. She hardly ever felt shy anymore, and felt comfortable with having a voice and being around other people.

"I guess it's because I've gotten used to everything," she explained. "I have been with you for a while now. Almost eight months I think." He paused briefly in his step before continuing on. A solemn expression taking over.

"Eight months," he repeated.

"Almost." Wanda blinked, looking at his sad expression. "What is it?"

"Nothing." He frowned, thinking. It would not be long now.

They met Rose in the control room and together walked off to Chloe's house. They reached the home and rang the doorbell, waiting patiently for Trish to answer the door. Eventually, she opened the door, and after some persuasion, she let them in. Realizing that they might be able to help her daughter with the problems Chloe had been going through. Trish showed them inside to the living room. The telly was on, showing them the torch bearer coming closer to the neighborhood's street. Rose and Wanda sat down on the sofa while the Doctor stood by the telly, facing Trish.

"She stays in her room most of the time," Trish started to explain. "I try talking to her, but it's like trying to speak to a brick wall. She'll give me nothing, just ask to be left alone."

"What about Chloe's dad?" Rose asked her. Trish remained silent for a moment, a haunted look within her eyes.

"Chloe's dad died a year ago," Trish replied, hesitant to even discuss it. Rose stared at the woman with sympathy.

"I'm sorry," Rose said softly.

"You wouldn't be if you'd known him." Trish looked away, staring off in a daze, remembering the terrible things she and Chloe had gone through. Wanda stared sadly at the mother, wishing neither her nor her daughter had to go through something as awful as that.