Chapter 26: Mercy

The Doctor galloped back into town on Susan at a steady and dejected pace. His hearts beating in dread once again without his Wanderer by his side. He had been right there. So close to having her safe in his arms. But he had let her go. Letting her get captured all over again. His grip tightened on her denim jacket lying on the saddle. She had said that she needed to be out there. But did it have to be with the mad Gunslinger? He sighed heavily, knowing he had to trust her judgment.

He arrived to town outside the Marhsall's office. He hopped down from Susan with Wanda's jacket in hand, marching to the office to face the monster, Jex. He heard the man inside, coming up with excuses to some actions of his when holding Amy at gun point from earlier. Telling the people within the office that he only wished to leave and no longer place anyone in danger. More lies. The Doctor felt his anger boiling up, feeling in no mood to deal with such a man. Especially when failing to save Wanda.

"He's lying," the Doctor said in a hard tone to everyone in the room once he stepped fully inside. He glared at Jex, slowly walking up to the man. "Every word. Everything he says, it's all lies. This man is a murderer." The Amy, Rory, and Issac stood on the other side of the desk, staring in bewilderment to what the Doctor said. Jex looked frightful by the Time Lord's accusations.

"I am a scientist," Jex countered. The Doctor glared darkly at him.

"Sit down," he growled in a low tone. Jex refused to move, about to argue again. The Doctor's anger boiled up even more, shouting this time. "Sit down!" Jex sat down slowly, staring up evenly when realizing his situation. "Tell them what you are."

"What am I? A war hero," Jex gritted out, looking proud by the statement. The Doctor moved away while Issac moved up closer to Jex. The Doctor walked over to Amy, handing her Wanda's jacket.

"What's this for?" Amy questioned.

"Wanda wanted you to have it," the Doctor answered evenly, continuing to walk away from them. He wanted to place as much distant as he could in the room between himself and Jex. Not wishing to be any closer to the vile man. Amy stared down to the jacket in confusion, then back at the Doctor with wide eyes of fright.

"Why? Is Wanda okay?" Amy asked quickly in fear. She looked around the room, suddenly realizing the absence of a certain Time Lady. She felt a welling of alarm building up within her as she stared at the Doctor. "Where is Wanda, Doctor? Did you find her? Please, tell me she's okay."

The Doctor sighed, rubbing a hand through his hair as he felt guilt weighing over him like a heavy blanket. "She's fine, Amy. But she's still with the Gunslinger."

Amy stared in outrage at the Doctor. "How could she possibly be fine if she's still with him?"

The Doctor kept his gaze hard on the floor, crossing his arms tightly. "She just is."

Amy glared angrily at the Time Lord. "Doctor, you promised you'd get her back."

"I will get her back. I promise."

"Oh, like you promised the last time?"

The Doctor whipped his angry eyes to the red head. "Amy, enough! I don't want to talk about this right now!" They both glared at each other before the Doctor looked away. "Right now, we need to discuss him." He pointed at Jex, staring darkly at the man. "You, are going to tell them everything. Starting now."

As Issac, Rory, the Doctor, and Jex discussed the history of Jex's actions, Amy stared down curiously to the jacket clutched in her hands. Why would Wanda want her to have it? Amy moved away from Rory and Issac, who had begun to discuss what to do with Jex, now knowing of his horrid past in creating the cyborgs of war. She leaned up against the wall, staring intently at the jacket. There had to be a reason Wanda gave it away. Wanda never did something without reason. But what was so special about the jacket that Amy needed?