Chapter 25: The Gunslinger

They met the Doctor sometime later in the street. He strolled merrily down, still excited about being the one to light the Olympic Flame. Rose and Wanda both grinned upon seeing him. They walked up behind him with Rose holding out a small cake for him. He grinned brightly once he turned around to face them, laughing when seeing the cake's toppings.

"Top banana!" he laughed. He walked up and took the cake from Rose's hands.

"Wanda made it," Rose told him just as he was about to take a bite. He froze, suddenly looking fearful of the cake. The blonde girl rolled her eyes. "Oh, just eat it." She pushed the cake into his mouth, making him take a mouth full. Wanda kept her fingers crossed as he chewed, hoping that he would like it. He hummed in delight, seeming to enjoy it. Wanda smiled, relieved she had done well.

"Not bad. Maybe a little bit too much sugar, but not bad," he commented. "Why can't you make your soufflés like this?" Wanda rolled her eyes.

"I'm working on it," she grumbled. He laughed, pulling her in for a hug. He leaned against her with his arm around her shoulder as he continued to munch on the cake.

"I can't stress this enough. Ball bearings you can eat—masterpiece!" he spoke cheerfully. Wanda and Rose both grinned at him, glad to make him happy. They walked together down the street. The Doctor leaned in close to Wanda, whispering into her ear. "By the way, heard what you said. That was a lovely thing to say."

He leant down and kissed her cheek softly. Wanda blushed brightly as he pulled away. She shot a quick glanced to Rose, afraid the girl would be angry with her boyfriend being so loving on the Time Lady. But Rose sent them both a warm smile, seeming to be greatly pleased with something. Rose walked up and linked her arm with the Doctor's open one. Smiling with joy as they all walked together down the street.

"What now?" Rose asked him. The Doctor finished up his cake quickly before answering.

"I want to go to the games! What we came for," he answered. "Besides, Wanda hasn't ever seen them. Should be a treat for her!" He squeezed Wanda's shoulders, making the girl blush even more.

"Go on, give us a clue. Which events do we do well in?" Rose questioned quickly, smiling cheekily for a spoiler.

"Well, I will tell you this . . . Papua New Guinea surprises everyone in the shot put," he said with a smirk. Rose scoffed in disbelief, but at the Doctor's cheeky grin she blinked in surprise and laughed. Fireworks began to fire off over head. They all stop to look up, staring at the beautiful colors that filled the sky.

"You know what? They keep on trying to spilt us up, but they never, ever will," Rose stated contently. Wanda stiffened, feeling cold dread washing over her. That was another thing she had forgotten about. This was one of the last adventures before . . . before Rose became lost to the Doctor. The Doctor felt Wanda's reaction to Rose's statement, glancing down to see the anxious expression crossing the Time Lady's face.

"Never say 'never, ever,'" he murmured quietly. Rose did not notice their sudden change in behavior, smiling away at the fireworks.

"Nah, we'll always be okay, all of us together forever," she responded. At this point she turned and noticed their solemn expressions. "Don't you reckon, Wanda? Doctor?"

"Something in the air, something coming," the Doctor spoke quietly.

Rose stared at him with uncertainty, feeling unease by the worried expressions of the Time Lords. "What?"

"A storm's approaching," Wanda whispered, going up to grip the Doctor's hand on her shoulder. She shivered as images of Bad Wolf ran through her mind. The same images she had been going through over again and again since Platform One. She shook as the warmth began to spread through her. Wanda turned quickly to Rose, hugging the girl tightly. Afraid that is may be the last time this version of herself would ever see Rose.